cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 C flaky connection with 15ft tethering cable

sfogel2
Contributor

At this writing only Capture One supports tethered shooting with the Canon EOS R5 C. But the connection is intermittent when using a TetherTools 15-foot cable. The connection drops and re-establishes every few seconds.

I've tried two different cables from TetherTools, with the same result. I'm requesting that Canon look into this. Perhaps the USB-C circuitry in the camera can't drive a 15-foot cable. Or maybe there's an impedance mismatch? The same camera, computer, and software setup works fine with different 6-foot cables.

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I suspect you are pushing the capacity of your USB-C cable for tethering purposes at 15ft.  FWIW, here is a link to an article on the issue of USB-C cable types, purposes and capabilities.  THIS article may also be a useful resource.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using an active or passive cable?

I seriously doubt that this is an issue that Canon is going to look at.  Canon does not support or guarantee performance with third party gear.  

The most likely response will be to use the cable that came packaged with the camera, IFC-100U.  It is a passive cable that is only 1 meter long.  Your cable is 5x that length.  Canon sells a 4 meter passive cable, IFC-400U.  I cannot say if it would work in your scenario.

I know that may sound harsh but those are the facts.  There area literally hundreds of different cables out there.  Canon is not going to spend time testing all of them.  Why should they?   Canon sells their own products that serve the same purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BTW, the most visible difference between Canon’s USB cables and those of most third party manufacturers is that the Canon USB cables include baluns.  Those would be the little boxes at either end of the cable just before you get to the connector.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements