cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C info screen stays on, waveform graph clipping at 80%

QuickBrownFox
Apprentice

I recently purchased this R5 C from eBay and am noticing some odd behaviors and unsure if these are normal/known issues. The info screen on the top of the camera body stays "on" when the camera is off. If I open the battery door, then the screen actually turns off, but once I close the battery door with a battery inside, the screen turns back on but stays black. In direct sunlight, I can visibly see this screen flickering.

I also had another issue/concern where there were times the waveform graph would have its clipping point at 80% instead of 100%. The graph wouldn't go higher than 80% almost as if the whole graph was compressed so pure white is now at 80% instead of 100%. Sometimes the waveform graph works as expected where pure white is 100%, but other times it goes back to 80% being the clipping point.

I am on the latest firmware 1.0.6.1. 

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Whenever you buy a used product, the first thing you want to do is reset its main and custom settings.  This gives you a known "hopefully" good starting point. 

If it were me, I'd return it and avoid any grief. Ebay just isn't a good place to buy a camera or a lens.  It's up to you, but often these purchases are more trouble than they are worth.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Looking at my R5C...

The info screen on the top of the camera body stays "on" when the camera is off.

Do you mean "on" but all black?  Mine does that.  It's not an issue, monochrome LCD screens use virtualy no power.

If I open the battery door, then the screen actually turns off, but once I close the battery door with a battery inside, the screen turns back on but stays black.

Yup, mine does the same.

In direct sunlight, I can visibly see this screen flickering.

Yup, I notice this once in a while.  It seems like a bug, but a pretty harmless one as far as I can tell.

I also had another issue/concern where there were times the waveform graph would have its clipping point at 80% instead of 100%.

This sounds like a consequence of your shooting mode -- specifically the gamma cuve in your colour profile.  Different gamma curves map lightness into pixel values in different ways.  When I switch to the "PQ" colour profle, i see the waveform clip at 80%, exactly as you describe.  But I usually shoot Log 3, and then it goes all the way to 100.

Hope this helps.

Hi Atticus thank you for your response! I am using CLOG 3 and that's actually where I experience the 80% clipping. I've attached a photo showing the waveform graph (right) as well as CLOG3 in C Gamut (left). Image.jfif

Then I don't know.  However I still think it's really unlikely that anyting so specific could be caused by any kind of damage -- I think it's most likely due to some shooting mode you have set, or some setting within your colour profile, or something like that.

Try changing shooting modes and see if you can narrow down what causes it.  If it's CP2, then I would suspect that your CP2 has been edited, because mine doesn't do that.  So maybe do as Rick suggested and do a full factory reset.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ian, thanks for replying.  This is interesting because I don't think my LCD stays on when I turn the camera off.  Or else I'm seeing the "all black" as off.  I'll check today.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements