cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C Mic Settings Help

johnnymc
Contributor

Just got the R5C, and have my Rode Wireless GO II mic plugged in which works flawlessly with my R5. I made separate channels within the cinema menu, turned the internal mic all the way down. Channel 1 is clearly the RODE mic, but all my videos are still recording ONLY the internal mic. I have no idea how to fix this! Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wobbleman99
Rising Star

The latest firmware update—1.0.2.1—has fixed that problem, the internal mic can now be turned off.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

johnnymc
Contributor

Just figured something out, when set to XF-AVC, it was recording the internal mic and not my RODE. When I switched to MP4 4:2:2, it now records the RODE, and sees my settings of 0 for the inernal mic. I fixed it for now, but why doesn't that work with the XF-AVC codec?

I found that trouble some as well, and adding that to the battery life and other issues I have decided to sell my R5c, in fact I am heading out to the shipper in a few moments to do just that. I am still using my C300 Mk III which I like, and have just purchased a Panasonic S5IIx which, so far, is great.  It has much better battery life than the R5c, menus that make sense, 6k if you so desire—but not 8k—and can record to an external SSD. Unlike the R5c, it does not have any obvious audio issues, and I am finding it to be superior to my Panasonic S1h.  Canon had the opportunity to offer a great camera with the R5c, but they missed the boat, and I fear that at least some of the problems are not fixable in firmware.

Understandable. 

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

wobbleman99
Rising Star

The entire 'internal mic' issue has been troublesome from the get-go.  Many of us, my self included, do not use MP4 for recording, and the inability to defeat the internal mic makes no sense whatsoever for a so-called professional video device.  I typically shoot XF-AVC or RAW with an external mic, either a Rode NTG-5 attached to the Tascam adapter, or the Canon hot shoe mic. In this scenario, the internal mic records to channels 3&4 and I delete those tracks in post, but it is a nuisance. Numerous complaints to Canon have apparently ended up in file 13—the trash can—since there has been no mention of an eventual fix for that problem.  It appears that the R5c's internal software is stuck in the consumer realm.

Why do you not use MP4? Is XF-AVC superior in some way to 4:2:2 CLOG 3?

If you're shooting proxies and RAW the file names will be the same with XF-AVC, and I am not certain that MP4 offers all of the metadata that is available with XF-AVC.  But the issue remains that the internal mic func should not be dependent upon which codec is being used.  I also shoot with a C300 MK III and C500 and both cameras allow the internal mic to be turned off. It is my understanding that the R5c's video software had been taken from the C70, and it too allows the internal mic to be turned off.

totally agree! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@johnnymc,

Many of us have brought this to light and requested the option (feature request) to disable channels 3&4 in the Cine Menu when using XF-AVC or RAW.

Please provide product feedback to Canon regarding this request.  Hopefully if enough of us request it, it might make it into a future FW release.  

Reach Us > +Feedback > Product

shadowsports_0-1661805532593.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wobbleman99
Rising Star

The latest firmware update—1.0.2.1—has fixed that problem, the internal mic can now be turned off.

Announcements