cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon r5c Firmware 1.0.3.1 - Settings Reset?

johnnymc
Contributor

So the last time I updated the firmware on my R5c - it reset everything to default - which was a pain, especially on the cinema side of things. Before I update, does this new version do the same thing, or will all my custom settings be saved?

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Updating firmware usually always resets settings.  This is typically outlined in the firmware instructions.

For the equipment that supports it, save the current settings (e.g. to an SD card or other media card) prior to performing the update.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Cool, and how exactly do I save my current settings? Is that the "Transfer Menu/CP" under the Wrench icon?

You'd have to check the User Manual.  Though I didn't see anything about the ability to save settings at first glance.   Note that not all of Canon's equipment has this feature.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I bellieve that "Transfer Menu/CP" is the right option.  See manual page 133, and note that it only saves to an SD card -- not a CF card.  I definitely recommend doing this before applying a firmware update.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@John,

1.0.3.1 does reset settings on the Cinema side.  Not on Photo.  Use @RS-EOS and @AtticusLake's recommendations.  If you have a lot of customizations, restoring from back up is very helpful. I skipped it, and had to go back in three or four times to make minor changes as I remembered stuff.  Definitely easier to restore from backup.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements