cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5C drains LPE6NH battery even with USB-C port connection with NP-F960 battery

YULI
Apprentice

I have a inquiry regarding the Canon R5C camera: currently working with:

- NP-F SmallRig board with new USB-C output.

- Kastar For Son NP-F960/970 lithium battery 7.4V 8700mAh, 64.5Wh new

- Brand new original Canon USB-C to USB-C cable that comes with the camera

- Brand new Canon R5C camera that has been working with for 3 months now

- Brand new, original Canon LPE6NH battery

- Camera firmware 1.0.7.1

- Ronin RS3 PRO stabilizer

SCENARIO #1: Canon LPE6NH battery runs out of power.  Why?

1. The battery is placed in the camera, fully charged to 100%.

1. Connect the camera to one end of the USB-C cable and the SmallRig board to the other end of the USB-C cable. Place the Kastar For Son NP-F960/970 lithium battery 7.4V 8700mAh, 64.5Wh with a 100% charge on the SmallRig board.

1. The camera is turned on in Video Mode and after a while of work, it is noticed that the Canon LPE6NH battery has no charge; it is as if the camera is not taking the power supply from the USB-C port. However, the camera can continue to work in Video Mode. This was not the case 2 months ago when the camera was purchased.

SCENARIO #2: Camera shuts down when removing the Canon LPE6NH batter. Is it normal?

1. The camera is still connected to the Kastar NP-F960/970 battery through its USB-C port, I decide to remove the Canon LPE6NH battery to replace it with a 100% charged one, but when I do this, the camera turns off. Is this normal? Shouldn't the camera still be on and taking the power coming from its USB-C port?

SCENARIO #3: Connection with Ronin RS3 PRO stabilizer

1. The stabilized Ronin RS3 PRO does not activate recording by USB-C connection to the camera.

TEST #1: Charging the Canon LPE6NH battery

1. The Canon LPE6NH battery is placed inside the camera, either slightly discharged or fully charged.

1. To one end of the USB-C cable is connected the camera and to the other end of the USB-C cable, the SmallRig board, on the latter, is placed the Kastar For Son NP-F960/970 lithium battery 7.4V 8700mAh, 64.5Wh with a 100% charge.

1. The camera is turned off/OFF and the Canon LPE6NH battery is charged correctly; while charging, the lower bulb on the right side lights green and the upper LCD display shows a flash icon inside a battery icon, when the battery charges to 100%, FULL is displayed.

TEST #2: Turning the camera on in Video Mode

1. Place a slightly discharged or fully charged Canon LPE6NH battery inside the camera.

1. Connect the camera to one end of the USB-C cable and the SmallRig board to the other end of the USB-C cable. Place the Kastar For Son NP-F960/970 lithium battery 7.4V 8700mAh, 64.5Wh with a 100% charge on the SmallRig board.

1. Turn on the camera in Video Mode and the green light bulb, located on the upper left side, lights up.

TEST #3: Charging a MacBook Pro

1. To one end of the original Canon USB-C cable, a MacBook 2019 16" laptop computer is connected, and to the other end of the USB-C cable, the SmallRig board, on the latter, the Kastar For Son NP-F960/970 lithium 7.4V 8700mAh, 64.5Wh battery is placed with a 100% charge.

1. The computer receives charge from the SmallRig board correctly, until it reaches 100%.

TEST #4: Using the MacBook Pro Charger

1. To the camera is connected, the original MacBook Pro 2019 16" MacBook Pro laptop computer charger and USB-C cable. This charger is USB-PD 20.5V 4.7A or 15.0V 3.0A or 9.0V A 3.0A or 5.2V A 3.0, which does receive the charge from this charger, via USB-C port.

1. The camera is off/OFF and the Canon LPE6NH battery is receiving charge correctly; while charging, the bottom bulb on the right side lights green and the top LCD display shows a flash icon inside a battery icon, when the battery charges to 100%, it shows FULL.

I hope you can help me to know if this is normal with the R5C model or should I do some update, firmware reversal

4 REPLIES 4

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Just a note: Your post is very long, and seems to cover multiple issues.  It would be better to break it into multiple posts.  For example, remote controlling the camera from a gimbal really has nothing to do with charging.

As for charging -- just the other night I was doing an astro timelapse, running the R5C off an external power bank.  At the end the internal battery was 100%.  So I'm not seeing your issue.

But note that the R5C can only run off a power supply that specifically supports POWER DELIVERY.  Does your setup do this?  Note that Power Selivery is a specific protocol, which is optional on USB C.  It doesn't matter how many volts or amps you have, if you don't have Power Delivery, it won't work.

When you plug the USB power in, the battery indicator in the camera display should change from bars to the text "USB PD".  Does this happen?  If not, that's your problem right there.

As for your "SCENARIO #2": yes.  When you open the battery door, the camera shuts down immediately.  This is by design.  You can argue whether it makes sense, but that is how the camera works.  You have to have a battery in the camera, and the battery door has to be closed, even when USB power is plugged in.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Both AtticusLake and I have owned the R5 C since its release.😀

My body arrived with 1.0.1.1.  I've run every firmware released since.  I loaded 1.0.7.1 on 7/4.  1.0.8.1 was quietly released 8/28 to address a minor issue.  I have not experienced the behavior and have not upgraded yet.  Two things will cause the camera to power off.  One is opening the card slot cover, the other is opening the battery door.

I reviewed your use cases.  Camera off.  Battery installed.  If you connect USB PD either before or after powering the camera on, you can hot swap (or remove) the battery.  The camera will stay on or continue recording,  I just did it a minute ago to confirm.  In this situation, the camera will continue running without a battery until the power source is depleted.  The battery door can be open or closed.  

The important point to note is your power source has to be rated USB PD, and a battery has to be present in the camera, and powered on before you can open the door and remove the battery.

You cannot connect USB PD without a battery installed and turn the camera on. It will not operate.  A battery has to be present first.  

I can't remember if the battery charges with USB. PD connected and the camera is powered on.  I'll check that for you when I get a cup of coffee 🙂   

I suspect your SmallRig battery plate and battery solution are not rated for USB-PD as AtticusLake suggests.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I beg your pardon, and thanks Rick for correcting me -- yes you can hot-swap batteries, in video mode, as long as you start with a battery in, just as Rick says.

In photo mode, when you open the battery door, the camera stops at once, even while shooting a timelapse.

(I think it's the R5 where you can't hot-swap in video mode.)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Ian,

I know you're correct because I've opened the battery door in photo mode to see what would happen.  😯. Doesn't end well.  

Definitely works in video mode.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements