cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C100 - Data Import Utility Catalina Workaround

Scott27
Apprentice

So with the Catalina update on Mac OS, Data Import Utility is no longer supported. Has anyone on a mac who updated to Catalina managed to find a workaround for importing video clips from my SD card without the use of Data Import Utlity? Maybe the answer is right in front of me and I'm just missing it, but it's been a frustrating couple of days. Any help would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

Jesser87
Apprentice
Thanks for the response. I surmised this would be the case, which I why I resisted the Apple update for so long, but the computer needed it. Thanks to covid, business has pretty much died in the last year, so I guess I won’t have a need for the camera anymore anyway.

davewild
Apprentice
I use EDITREADY to convert the files to ProRes for FCP. This not only is a 64bit application, but with the AVC files converted they play much more nicely in FCPX without the application freezing up as it does if I import AVCHD that came out of the Canon Data import utility. I had no issues with freezing using MP4 but I think the AVC files are slightly higher quality.

Customers shouldn't have to spend additional money to use their product... but back in the real world, this issue of support when Apple moves OS has been going on for years (e.g. flatbed scanner drivers and printer drivers not working on a new OS, and Canon NEVER bothering to update them (whereas they update them, or indeed they still work for Windows 10!). "a workaround is as good as a fix" 😉

Oh, wow, thank you so much! I had never heard of that before. I agree that we shouldn't have to keep spending money like expected. You really helped me out! A friend just got me a new mic that I was so bummed I couldn't use because of the update issue, but now I'm excited. Thanks a million!

nkyg
Apprentice

I've also just encountered this issue and I have found another way that personally works better for my workflow:

• Find your "AVCHD" collection
  • "Control" and click or double click (I'm new to macs) and select "Show package contents"
  • You'll see something that says "BDMV". Control + click that as well and select "Show package contents" again
  • Select the "Stream" folder
  • You should see all the clips on your SD card from your camera

I literally just found this out the same day I updated my laptop. Would love to know if it worked for anyone else.

Hey, I am so sorry that I'm just replying now, nearly half a year later. I got like 5,000 emails (literally) and all my emails are surrounded by junk. I just used my camera after forgetting about my issue and remembered I had this response I meant to get around to. Thanks so much for your help and I'm sorry again for the late reply.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements