cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it harm my printer to use tea dyed paper?

KiwiBird
Contributor

Would it harm my printer to use paper that I have tea dyed? I have a pixma pro 100 and since the ink would smear if I dyed the paper afterwards, can I use tea dyed paper in it? I have a very old printer that I use currently for this kind of paper; other than being crinkly and having trouble feeding it in at first, it seems to be okay with that printer. I'm not sure if it would harm anything with my good printer because of the tea, but its dry. I could just continue to use my old one but I want to use my new one so I can print to the edge and just get a better picture overall on it. Anyone have experience with using odd paper in their printer?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since it's dry and basically just colored paper I wouldn't expect it to affect the printer, other than having paper feed problems. 

A side comment. You said "print to the edge". 1. Borderless prints only available on certain paper sizes and media types and 2. Borderless printing results in overspray that can wind up transferring ink to other prints. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you! I just didn't know if the paper would somehow gum up anything even when dry. I do have a question though about printing to the edge. Can I print an image on 8.5 in x 11in computer paper? I don't actually need it to the edge, just very close, the normal computer settings on my other printer can't get too close and I only want a border near the edge but not actually on the edge. Though if I can all the way to the edge with that size paper it would be nice.

Hello - just to be clear - I do not work for Canon. I offered my opinion of the tea paper based on the assumption that it is just colored paper. If you rub a clean cloth on it and material is transferred then that would be a different story - the same material could transfer to the rollers in the printer.

You can print on letter size computer paper. It would be the Plain Paper setting. The printer has imposed margins, so the largest width on 8.5 x 11 paper would be 8 inches unless you choose borderless.

Print Area.jpg

When you choose borderless printing the printer expands the image so that it will cover the whole paper. You can control the amount of extension, but it would be trial and error.

Borderless Printing.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Greetings,

No idea what is being printed...  text, images, etc.

We cannot be sure what would happen if you put tea stained paper through the printer.  Colors may not be rendered correctly if the ink saturates or mixes with the tea.

I think what John suggests above is correct.  The printer is not intended to be used with tea stained paper.  We have no idea what the final results to your printer or the outputted prints will be.  I'm sure Canon would probably say "not recommended"

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have tested a few pages on my canon printer. So far other than feed issues, which I had assumed would happen, It seems okay I guess. The paper does get lotsof marks of ink on the edges which I assue is because it is wrinkled a bit, so I am still debating continuing using it. I would use my other printer but that for some reason can't print small detail right now. Prints text fine just not my drawings I do.

Also, I'll look this up, but am I able to take my printer apart to then clean the feeding rolelrs in case that is an issue? The paper doesn't even smell like tea since its been dried for a while so I doubt it will rub off any residue.

Announcements