cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(SOLVED) PRO 100 ink or paper issue

babezord
Contributor

I've been printing onto Premium Fine Art Smooth paper using my PIXMA PRO 100 for over a year now with no issue. Today, I've discovered a brand new issue where the print itself is looking wrong. I don't know how to describe the issue so I've provided a photo.
Black ink (as far as I can tell, other colors aren't affected) seems to print with this blotchy texture. I took my print head out and cleaned it very well, as well as swapped out the black ink catridge for a fresh one. I've also made sure I'm printing on the correct side of the paper as I always have. 
ink issue

I've been moving into a new place the past 2 days (it's been very hot, around 95 F) I've taken precautions to make sure the printer wasn't damaged but it's a possibility. Have you guys ever seen anything like this? Could this batch of paper be improperly manufactured? Thank you for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

babezord
Contributor

Well, weird result! I ordered the same paper again (Canon's Premium Fine Art Smooth) as well as a new paper (EPSON's Velvet Fine Art Paper) and attempted my regular prints on both. They both look fine! The Canon paper looks just as good as it always has, and the new Epson paper looks alright. I ran another print on the original batch of paper and sure enough, the weird texture is there. 

SOLUTION: The specific batch of paper is faulty. Ordering a new pack solved the problem. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Have you run a nozzle check?

Have you tried different papers?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Nozzle check looks OK for the most part, no streaks. The black bars seem to have the texture that I'm having issues with, but it's difficult to tell because of how thin they are.

I haven't tried a different paper yet. I don't have any other HQ matte papers but I'll try out a glossy photo.

So it looks totally fine on different paper! I am at a loss. I guess I need to look into fine art paper alternatives. I've never had issues with this paper before, but this current batch is consistantly giving me that strange texture. 

I've noted that Canon is out of stock of this paper on their website (Fine Art Smooth Matte) and they're scarce on amazon as well. I wonder if they're discontinuing the paper and I received a shotty batch. Either way, it looks like I have to switch to a new paper regardless!

Anyways, thank you for the help. I'll be sure to come back and mention if new paper solves the issue.

babezord
Contributor

Well, weird result! I ordered the same paper again (Canon's Premium Fine Art Smooth) as well as a new paper (EPSON's Velvet Fine Art Paper) and attempted my regular prints on both. They both look fine! The Canon paper looks just as good as it always has, and the new Epson paper looks alright. I ran another print on the original batch of paper and sure enough, the weird texture is there. 

SOLUTION: The specific batch of paper is faulty. Ordering a new pack solved the problem. 

20210623_123931.jpg

New paper is pictured on the left, faulty paper on the right.

Contact canon about it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements