cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro-1000 greeting card, trouble with custom sized paper

fenella_lorch
Apprentice

Hi, I'm running a PRO-1000 and trying to print a greeting card... getting my tail kicked with custom paper sizes.  This is my first time working with custom paper sized and it's not going so well.  Can anyone help me?

I have a set of Museo small greeting cards, 4.5" x 5 13/16", so paper size is 9 x 5 13/16". 

Designed a card of that size in Photoshop 2020 and trying to print is using Canon Print Studio Pro.  That allows me to define a custom paper size, and I enter 9 x 5.813."  All seems to be going well!

Then I enter the paper in the printer, and it asks me to confirm the type and size.  Obviously that's not a choice so I select Other for size.  It accepts that and registers it.

Then I go to print.  The job starts and then aborts, displaying the error message “The media type and paper size are not set correctly.  Click Cancel Printing to stop printing, change the media type or paper size setting, and print again.”  Cancel printing is my only choice, so I click that and can't print.

I tried more with the settings on the printer, including detect paper width set to Off, and warn of settings mismatch also set to Off.  Despite this, I still get the Settings Mismatch error.  I searched online and found a User Manual article on setting a custom paper size, but it warns that anything selected in Print Shop Pro will override that set on the driver.

So, how can I print my custom sized cards?  Thanks for your time and help!

Fenella

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you print directly from PhotoShop?

PSP really doesn't do anything you can't do in another app.

Also, Red River Paper has greeting card templates for their papers, but you might be able to modify for your size paper.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Greetings,

Was looking at this last night and came to the same conclusion as John.  It appears as if the printer is confused by the custom size you have set in PSP and what you are registering on the printer.  I agree with John,  that you should bypass PSP and attempt to print directly from Adobe 2020 using your custom size.  Review and remove any custom page sizes you have set for the manual feeder, and recreate when setting up the new workflow.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you print directly from PhotoShop?

PSP really doesn't do anything you can't do in another app.

Also, Red River Paper has greeting card templates for their papers, but you might be able to modify for your size paper.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Greetings,

Was looking at this last night and came to the same conclusion as John.  It appears as if the printer is confused by the custom size you have set in PSP and what you are registering on the printer.  I agree with John,  that you should bypass PSP and attempt to print directly from Adobe 2020 using your custom size.  Review and remove any custom page sizes you have set for the manual feeder, and recreate when setting up the new workflow.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

John and Rick, thank you both so much for your help!

I took a week or so off because of the holiday, but once I got back to it, this worked like a charm.  I had some initial troubles with width and height, that I'll document here for the record in case it helps anyone who comes along behind me:  no matter what dimensions are input into the dialog in the driver control menu, the printer will always assume that the short end of the paper is inserted into the top feed.

For example, I input my custom paper size as 9 inches wide by 5.81 inches high.  My image always printed rotated 90°, no matter whether I set it to print in portrait mode, landscape mode, rotated the image in Adobe Photoshop, or anything else.  Everything I tried, the image would print rotated 90°. 

Finally I remembered that the 1000 assumes the paper is inserted short side first, and cannot process otherwise, so I went back into the custom paper dialog settings and set my paper size to 5.81 inches wide by 9 inches tall, it worked brilliantly. 

Cheers!

Fenella

HI Fenella,

That information is helpful.  I would have set landscape and assumed that would work.  I'm sure this will help others. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

That's great. I do this all the time and use my Canon Pro-1000 for cards. It does a bang up job of that. I create the cards to be the exact same size as the size of card i'm inserting and then just ignore all the PSP dialogs saying that some portions might not print because I have printing area past the safe margin space. I simple setup my cards with guidelines that match the needed margin area on the cards. Works like a charm. 

Announcements