cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro 100 prints dark and unsaturated

Burgmark
Contributor

My sister asked me to print a family photo that was taken at her grandson's wedding by their wedding photographer, who supplied them with a jpg file of the photo.

I use a Dell XPS 15 (latest model) and have a profile created with Spyder to calibrate the screen and I have specified that profile in Photoshop and specified that Photoshop control the printer.  Then in the main tab I chose the manual control and the none option.

The photo looks great on my screen, bright, well exposed and saturated.  But the print is dull, dark and unsaturated.  I even tried to fool the printer by overexposing and oversaturating the photo in Photoshop, but the darker areas still come out dark and unsaturated and the whites are blown.

I may give up and go back to my i9900.

14 REPLIES 14

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 (newest version).

I was able to print the Outbackphoto image and it came out good.  I first printed it by just double clicking in Windows File Explorer and printing from the Windows photo viewer.  It looked good except that the greens were too dark.  So I opened it in Photoshop and converted it to 300 dpi and printed from Photoshop and the result is pretty close to what I see on my screen.  So, it is not the printer.  My working colorspace is sRGB and that is the only difference between my own photo and the downloaded photo. I'll do some more experimenting by converting the color profile of my photo to see if that makes a difference in the print.

That’s good. 

I am am not a Photoshop user (I use Lightroom), but from what I have been led to believe the recommended approach in Photoshop is to use the Prophoto RGB working color space. 

I don’t really know anything about when to convert image color profiles. I generally shoot RAW, and if I do shoot JPEG I set sRGB in camera. Lightroom doesn’t provide any capability for changing profiles. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. One last suggestion would be to try using the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin, but I don’t think that’s the issue - you have a Canon printer that apparently works properly.

I think calling Canon is required. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, I really appreciate your help and suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

Announcements