cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma Pro 100 printing dark and muddy

keetha
Contributor

Hi, 

I have seen several threads about this and tried to read those over and learn from them first but I'll admit to being so lost.

I've had the printer since August and previously had a PC with Windows 8. Since December, I've been using a Mac. With both computers, though, I always got dark and muddy prints, especially with blues and greens.  I have installed drivers and looked for any software updates and the Canon website says I'm up to date. But when I go to print something, in the drop down box there are two options for paper - plain and photo. With my PC, there were a dozen or more options (matte paper, glossy paper, art paper, etc.).

I have installed ICC profiles from Red River Paper, as I did with the PC.

On a previous thread, I saw to go to Canon My Printer and then to settings. I'm guessing that's software? I don't seem to have that on my computer. I looked online and it came up on various software download sites but not the Canon web site. I am leery about installing from one of those web sites so I didn't.

After reading another thread, I went in to PhotoShop and selected a different color space (Adobe 1998).

I apologize for being so lost but apparently I am in need of super-simplified instructions. I cannot seem to figure this out. It's so frustrating and discouraging. I appreciate any help! 

Thank you!

28 REPLIES 28

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What I explained in the above post needs to be done without exception.  Don't skip any step.  However, are you using a Mac now or a PC?  IMHO, PC's are easier to set up than Mac's.

All the software you need came with the printer.  Did you install it?

No printer that you can put in your house or office can use AdobeRGB.  This needs to be changed to sRGB before you print anything.  I do recommend you shoot jpg's in AdobeRGB for the larger color space but this can cause some issues when you print.  But for the best results you really need to be shooting in RAW.  In RAW there is no such thing as color space, no RGB of any kind.

I understand you have and use Photoshop?  It and Canon My Printer is all you need <----came with the printer.  It is mandatory you are using Canon ink and Canon paper with the correct ICC profile.  Right now, you can use Red River later when all is right.

Let me know how it goes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am using a Mac now. I'm using Canon ink and Canon paper as well. 

The Mac does not have a CD drive so I can't install Canon My Printer that way. Do you know if it's anywhere on the Canon web site?

I followed the instructions for installing ICC profiles.

All I can find about the printer on this computer (Mac) are the most basic of settings. That's why I keep thinking some drivers aren't installed but I installed what the Canon site recommended. 

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 8.59.20 AM.png

This is software on the Canon web site -- is this Canon My Printer?

Print Studio Pro Ver. 1.4.0 (OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10) 01/09/15
File Name: mpsp-mac-1_4_0-ea9_2.dmg 

(Optional)This plug-in software facilitates professional photo printing. Plug-in offers all print related setting from a single user interface. With Print Studio Pro, you can print photos in various styles, including bordered, borderless, index, mono...

Again, I apologize for being so simple-simon. I appreciate your help.

Best,

Keetha

I am not a Mac user but the lack of a CD drive is one reason I say Mas is harder.  If you have Photoshop that is all the printing software you need.  Of course you need the Pro-100 print driver but no additional software is required from if you have PS.

ps.jpg

In the print driver you should turn off any control the printer has.

EB

wrobinson
Apprentice

I am a dental hygienist who has been tasked by her boss (a dentist) for finding a solution to our new printer printing out our new patient photo pages too dark.  I am confused by where to start.  Reading through this feed, I see that many of you are working through different photo editing programs, this is something that we cannot do.  As a cosmetic dentist he needs to be able to see the image as closely as it appears on camera without changing any shading so we can come up with a customized treatment plan for each patient.  So with our old printer, we just plugged in our memory card, put the pics into a powerpoint template and pressed print.  Everything worked fine; that is, until it broke.  Now we have this printer printing out shots that look horrible.  Skin tones look dull and teeth seem to have a bluish/grey tint to them.  It took me forever just to figure out the basics of the camera, and now I have been tasked with troubleshooting the printer.  I have no idea where to start.  Can anyone help out there? Good day to you!

HelenaLeeStudio
Contributor

Hi, I have a Pixma MG6450 and have recently bought a Pixma Pro-100.  I joined this forum as I was getting dark muddy prints from the Pro-100.  I am printing the same image from both printers and after following all of the great suggestions below, I'm glad to say the colours are now just about equal, but the Pixma Pro-100 lacks the definition that the MG6450 has. 

Admittedly I'm using an unconventional paper, a 225gsm recycled card.  Do you think this is the problem or is it something I am still doing wrong in the printer set-up?  I have a Mac, so some of the settings that you suggest are not coming up (like to turn the Color matching off).

Thank you in advance!

Yes it could be.

You must use the correct ICC profile for each paper.  The Pro-100 requires this for best results.  Also using Canon brand inks is a must.  The better a printer is, the more sensitive it is to its settings.  I also prefer USB over wireless.

EB

Thanks for your quick reply!  

Do I need to install a specific driver to match my paper?  I use Canon inks all the way.  For the MG6450, it seems happy to accept it as plain paper.

Also, I'd been setting the printer profile in the Print dialog box as 'Adobe RGB'.  Should I be changing the ICC profile here or when I choose my paper type in print settings?

Print dialog box.jpg

The Printer Profile and the ICC Profile are two different settings.  Is there a ICC for the paper you are using?  Some paper companies don't issue them so you would have to make your own.

AdobeRGB is the color space.  It is the setting I use.  It is a wide gamut color space and is wider than the printer can produce but is more vibrant in the color space it can.

icc profile in PS.jpg

EB

Unfortunately there is no ICC for the paper as it is recycled card stock.  How do I make my own profile?

I seem to be getting there by choosing the printer profile as 'Canon IJ Color Printer Profile 2005' and choosing 'Inkjet Hagaki' paper.  Compared to the MG6450, there still doesn't seem to be as much depth to the photos, but at least the colours are not as dark and muddy.

Making your own profile does require you to have some special equipment.  Finding one that works will be easier.

You might try Red River paper company to see if they have a suitable paper.  They have the correct profiles for all their papers as do other high quality paper companies.

I don't use a Mac so the instructions I gave you may not be exactly as I have shown.

EB
Announcements