cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing software problem

mcl
Contributor

I have a Cannon Pixma  pro 9000 Mark ll printer. I have several photo editing programs. The only one that will let me make a print the "exact size", in other words, not 8x10 or 5x7, etc.,  is Photoshop Elements ll. Even the software that came with my printer will not let me print anything other than a standard size print. I really can't use Photoshop Elements ll because it apparently is not compatible with Cannon, the colors turn out wrong. Can anyone tell me the name of an editing program  that will let me print one photo in the center of the page in an odd size and work with the Cannon printer? Cost must be in same range as Elements.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Sounds like you have a color managment problem. You need to figure out whether it's in Elements or the printer software but from the sound of your color issues one program is converting sRGB to Adobe RGB. This assumes you are working in sRGB on your monitor. If you've allowed the software to run in Adobe RGB & your monitor can't properly display Adobe RGB you can't really know how a color will print. Set everything to run in sRGB so that there aren't any changes being applied during the printing process. Once you have that working decently match your monitors brightness to the print so that things look as identical as possible to your eyes. Most people have their monitor set TOO BRIGHT.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for your input. Now, please tell me how to set everything to sRGB. Let's just say that when it comes to computers, electronics and technogoly, I'm just not that bright. 

Hopefully others can help sort it out. I don't use Canon printers so I have no idea just how to set one up to print using specific instructions. As for Elements I don't use it either but any Adobe program I do use has a check box that must be checked when saving a file (Save AS) and the check box is for saving as an ICC sRGB etc file. One thing that my printing process asks when selecting the different settings I'll use is whether I want Photoshop to manage the printer & I say NO because I want to use the printer to to manage the colors. Just go through the whole process one step at a time in your normal way but read each menu that comes up as you proceed through the steps

All of this assumes that you haven't set your camera to shoot in the Adobe RGB color space. If you have the file numbers will begin with the Underscore such as _MG. You do not want to set it up that way.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you so much, you have been a big help. Next time I save an image I will notice the ICC thing. I guess change it if necessary. Also, I will be sure to let the printer manage the colors. I'm going to check file numbers too. I didn't set the camera up any way at all so I hope I don't need to worry about that. I'll just worry about setting everything to sRGB.
Announcements