cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO-10 / Print Studio giving me unwanted margins and cropping on matte paper

rjsphd
Contributor

I used Canon's Print Studio Pro plug-in with Lightroom Classic to print on Hannemuehle textured rag. I used the manufacturer's icc profile for the paper.  

The image out of the printer is spot on, but the margins are not.  I thought I set it up to print boderless (on 3 sides) and what I got was borders all around and the image was cropped off on two sides.  It looked borderless in the software on my monitor!

So, help please. I want to print as large as possible image on my 13x19 paper AND have what I am getting out of the printer match what I am seeing in the plug-in. If it must have margins on this kind of paper, at least I want the image to be printed in full and not cut off. Am I better off skipping the Print Studio?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe the Hahnemuehle paper is a fine art paper.

What media type did Hahnemuehle recommend that you select?

If it was a fine art media type there is an imposed margin. Borderless can only be printed on certain media types.

Screenshot 2020-10-23 093636.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I believe the Hahnemuehle paper is a fine art paper.

What media type did Hahnemuehle recommend that you select?

If it was a fine art media type there is an imposed margin. Borderless can only be printed on certain media types.

Screenshot 2020-10-23 093636.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you John.  You are correct that it is supposed to be set on Fine Art Paper 1, which would explain why it is not borderless.

As a follow up, how do i set the Canon software to print the largest size on fine art paper without it cropping my image?  It didn't show it cropped on the preview screen I was using, but I am a total novice.

Again, thanks in advance for help.

I don't know; I don't use PSP.

Check your personal messages.

What software are you accessing PSP from?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I am printing from a Pro-100, but the Pro-10 is very similar, if not the same.

For Fine Art media types there is a 30mm imposted border on the leading and trailing edge of the paper. For all papers (unless printing borderless) there is also an imposted border on left and right sides.

They are shown in gray (Item 1) in the screen shot.

Thus, in the large direction, for an A3+ paper, the maximum cell size is the 19 inch dimension minus the two borders, or ~16.65 inches.

If you want to maximize your image size on the paper you can drag the height or width sliders (#2 in the screenshot) until they hit a limit. Depending on your aspect ratio you might get a tall skinny image or a short squat image.

Screenshot 2020-10-23 152921.jpg

For my image the width hit the limit before the height.

Unless I have a reason for a particular crop ration I set my margins all around to 1.18 inches and create a faux mat look:

Screenshot 2020-10-23 154222.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

rjsphd
Contributor
Perfect! You are very kind to take the effort to inform me. Much appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend. By the way, great shot of the Milky Way you sent. (I was in your neck of the woods two weeks ago and the foliage was spectacular.)
Announcements