cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images + small text: Pro-10 or Pro-1000?

537O3
Apprentice

We print sales and resource-library binder pages on an old workhorse Canon Pro-1. Other than occasional B200 errors that disappear after a day of rest, it's adequate for the job. But the B200s are growing more frequent, so we're planning to replace the printer soon.

We're fine with spending the money on the Pro-1000 for image quality, but a few of our binder pages are text only, and the image pages include small captions (8pt Aaux Pro Light). I'm concerned about getting acceptably crisp text on the 1000 vs the higher-resolution 10. 

Anybody have any experience with small text on the 1000?

And: I'd love to hear 10 vs 1000 image quality comparisons. In addition to the binder pages printed on basic Canon matte photo paper, we print occasional 13x19 prints for clients (just as swag/thank-yous—ultimate product is 60"x38" canvas) on Moab Lasal. Moving forward we'd want to match the Pro-1 quality at minimum.

Competing needs, I know. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. I don't know if its still in place, but they used to have a shopping support service where you could send a file and they would print it on the printer you were looking to purchase.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John @jrhoffman75 and Rick @shadowsports!

A print test would definitely answer my question—I'll give Canon a call.

Two printers could work in our current studio, but in a week and change we're moving to a much smaller (and much better) space that can't comfortably accommodate two big bricks, so I've gotta choose.

I'm leaning toward better text, if the Pro-10 image quality is equal to or better than the Pro-1. That may sound crazy, but the value in both the promo binders and the swag prints is more in the content than the fidelity—but only up to a point, which is why Pro-1 quality is our baseline.

Really appreciate both of you taking the time to respond!

Ann

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Biggest difference between these two devices is going to be in images.

Also note the Pro 1000 doesn't do duplex if this matters to you. 

Now the marketing mumbo jumbo.  When you compare the specs side by side, you see that one has half the resolution of the other with almost 3 times the mumber of nozzels.  Both have 4 picolitre ink delivery.  The Pro 10 is capable of delivering droplets of ink at much higher ratio or tolerances than the Pro1000.  The 1000 makes up for this in its sheer number of nozzels comparitively.   

Depending on paper type and settings, you could expect better text from the Pro 10, but better images from the Pro 1000.  Both use pigment based inks and results will vary. 

I think your concerns are valid. What you might consider.  Purchase 2 printers.  A Pro 100 (lower end and inexpensive) which shares the same resolution as your Pro 1 (for text) and the Pro 1000 for (images)

Since the majority of your work is pro-grade imaging, start with the 1000 and see if it meets your needs.  If it can't, supplement with a pro 100 for your text projects.  Skip the 10 which is really geared for B&W photos. 

****  John's recommendation is excellent.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Since the majority of your work is pro-grade imaging, start with the 1000 and see if it meets your needs.  If it can't, supplement with a pro 100 for your text projects. Skip the 10 which is really geared for B&W photos. 

Ah, wait, I apparently blanked out this part. Problem is, we don't have any text projects. We have image-only prints (which are swag and the recipients love them, fidelity isn't critical), and then image+text projects (example below), which happen to have a few text-only divider pages in the mix.

Hmmm. it really sounds like a test is in order. I'll see what I can scare up.

example.jpg

Announcements