cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make iX6820 to print grayscale using only black ink

Jobul
Apprentice

I have Canon PIXMA iX6820 photo printer, and somehow this printer doesn't have a feature that would allow to use black ink only. Instead, they always use color ink to print grayscale photo.

It's a simple thing as converting gray color to small black dots. I don't get why Canon didn't add actual grayscale printing feature.

Is there anyway to make this work? such as 3rd party driver update, or a program that would make gray color in the image to black dots like other printers do?

3 REPLIES 3

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

When printing graphics or color in grayscale, mixtures of the color inks will be used to produce shades of blacks and gray.  The PGI-250 black tank is only used when text is printing on plain paper.  When a different type of paper is used, or graphics/photos are printed, the color tanks will be used.  There is no option to isolate the black ink tank for printing photos or graphics.  We do not have any 3rd party drivers or workarounds that we can recommend in this case.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I know Canon doesn't have answer to this question. I'm just asking to the community.

Although if I need to ask, I have old PIXMA MX410 in my house, which isn't a photo printer, but it prints grayscale well with black ink. Why doesn't the newer PIXMA iX6820 printer have this feature? is there any special reason to it? 

If I want to print grayscale in color, I can do that myself. I've also tried threshold adjusting in Photoshop, which converts gray part in the image to black dots, and it prints just the way I want except that this adjustment makes gray part too dark when it prints.

I'm just questioning this because I know this printer is definitely capable of grayscale printing, but it doesn't have a button to make it work. Which would save some ink that is being used instead of using all 3 color cartridge.

I know it's been 3 years since this post and that Canon staff flew away the second you made the real questions...lol....but...Did you get any response about this?

Announcements