cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dull colors with Pro-100 vs Pro9000

ptizzle
Apprentice

I just purchased a Pro-100 to replace my aging Pro9000 (which sometimes decides it doesn't want to print anymore).

I mainly print 4x6 photos on Canon Matte Photo Paper and did a comparison between the Pro-100 and the Pro9000.

Both at stock settings, the Pro-100 colors look much more dull. The Pro9000 colors pop and look much more like what is shown on my screen. Both printers were using the exact same settings for paper, color space, etc.

Here's an example of two prints I did tonight:

DSC07588.jpg

Pro9000 on the left, Pro-100 on the right. Not the best lighting, but you can see the difference. It's more pronounced in person.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Based on the image you posted I like the Pro-100 version better. More detail in shadow areas.

Download the test image from the following link and print it without any adjustment. Judge how you like the output.

http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. 

As I said, the image from the Pro9000 looks more like what is on my screen, and thats the one that I prefer. 

I'll try the test image on both printers, but I imagine the result will be the same. 

What program are you printing from? You may be able to adjust your printer to get the effect you want.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'm exporting from Lightroom and opening in Photoshop CS5 and printing from there. I've tried exporting from Lightroom in sRGB and Adobe RGB with the same result in the print. I've also selected to let Photoshop deal with the colors and also have tried letting the printer manage the colors...

If you aren't doing any special editing in PS then you can print from LR. I don't use PS so i don't have first hand experience, but from what I have read on various forums printing from LR is easier than PS.

Also, you can install the Canon Print Shop Pro plugin for LR and PS and print from that. It will allow you to adjust the printer to tune your prints.

You can get the manuals here: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/Canon+Pro-100+Manuals/_9e886cddfbc04caa9248d99e17228c5b

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks.

I've never had a problem printing from CS5 before, so I'm not sure why I should have one now.

I did actually try the Canon plug-in to Lightroom and it didn't make a difference. Perhaps I'll have to give it another shot.

It may not be a problem. Your new printer may just have a different characteristic. I made the same upgrade and didn't notice a change between my two printers, but they are complex devices. I profile my monitor and my print output is very close to the monitor.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Sandy6
Apprentice

I know this is an old post but I just bought a pro 100 and compared it to a 9000 MKII.  In my case was printing about 50 copies of a collage when I switched printers.  The collage allowed me to do a side by side comparison of range of photos with differing subjects, skin tones and lighting.  There was an difference in brightness with the 9000 being brighter and better looking.  This was easily seen to the untrained eye.  (Two family members both preferred the 9000.)  There was also a very subtle yellow shift in the 9000.  The pro 1000 was more neutral but this was very subtle and only a trained eye could spot it. (My two family members did not.)  However, an interesting supporting observation came from printing the same image 50 times.  The first ~30 prints were on the 9000 and it dominantly used photo magenta, followed by photo cyan ink.   The pro 100 on the other hand used more gray (LG) ink than any other ink.  No wonder the output looked less bright and more dull on the pro 100.  These observations would be consistent with pitzzle.  The 9000 being brighter and capturing the yellow a little stronger.  The gray inks I"m sure are key for B&W, but don't seem to be well tuned for color prints in my observation.  

Note I tried to get the pro 100 to match the 9000 by t the adjustments in the printer color adjustments dialog box but was not successful.  I ended up going back into the each image individually and tweaking the brightness to try and get the brighter rendition.  

I was printing on photo matte paper, from PS elements 15 using the standard settings. 

cholman
Apprentice

My pro-9000 mkII died, and I replaced it with a pro-100.  I print scans of acrylic paintings.  Abstracts.  Perfect skin tones and shadow details aren't an issue for me.  Vibrant colors that match the original -- that's my goal.  I was getting pretty good results from the 9000, and without the green and red inks I was worried about the results from the 100.  I tried a few tests, and no more worries!  The colors -- even pthalo green -- are awesome.  Bonus:  The yellow azo is actually correct -- not the daffodil yellow I had learned to live with.  

I can't speak to photo printing, but for my purposes, the Pro-100 is doing a fine job.  

Announcements