cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decent plain\cheap paper?

lapoune
Apprentice

Hi,

I just got a Pro-100 and I want to print some color accurate stuff but I don't need\or want glossy photo super thick paper all the time. Anyone has experience with something cheap that gets good results? I tried xerox colotech 160gsm and the prints are absolutely terrible. Super washed out and they are tiny white speckles all over the prints. Same so far with thinner copier paper.

Pretty sad about this. Tried it with some matte photo paper and the prints are stellar. I don't expect the same quality of course but at this time on plain paper I get worse quality than a laser...is this normal behaviour?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

bobphill
Apprentice

Absolutely normal behaviour for any inkjet printer. It needs the inkjet coating to accept the ink correctly. The cheapest 'inkjet' paper will always be better than 'copy' paper. I use cheap paper for correspondence, but NEVER for photos or graphics.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is hard to recommend anything when, "Decent plain\cheap paper?", is so ambigious.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well basically something matte, low weight in A3 (or 11x17). I saw red river colorjet 26lbs matte that seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely. Thing is I live in singapore so trying it out or buying some right now is kind of cost prohibitive (50-60$ shipping for 30$ ream of paper). I could pick some up in a month or two but that would be my only chance for half a year. So I am either looking for more widely available alternatives (the preferable option) or a solid recommendation that I could possibly pick up in the US when I go, like the red river paper.

Thanks for the help!

Call Red River.  They are great and a good source for anything printing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

i have pro 10, i tried some cheap photopapers, but those papers I tried gave  very bad result.   color on paper forms uneven patches.   I stick back to canon papers.

casual than casual

curlyjoe
Contributor
Hi, have you already tried Canon's Matte paper (MP-101)? It's pretty cheap, I usually get it for around $8.00 for a pack of 50 8.5x11 sheets in the states. It works surprisingly well with my Pro9000II and Pro-100. I've even sold some 13x19 prints where the buyer preferred the matte to the more expensive platinum paper.
Announcements