cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-300 image cut off in borderless printing

Echo
Apprentice

Hello, 

First post and new to Canon printers. My jaw is still hanging open at how beautiful (exact color/brightness) my prints are from the very first print. (something I never achieved with my Epson 2200 w/o fighting with it for hours and I never could get it to print borderless!)

There is one thing I can't figure out and I'm quite dismayed that can't get anyone from Canon to answer the phone or reply to an email! Can anyone in the community give me some hints that might help? 

The printer is connected via USB to a 1yr old Dell Precision 7740 laptop running Win10. I'm printing through Photoshop 6.14. My print dislog is set to print borderless on glossy paper. My image file is sized at 8.5x11 @ 240dpi and my paper size is set to the same. Regardless of whether I check the box to "size print to paper" or not, about 1/4" of the right margin of the print is missing, as are about 1/8" from the top & bottom. I like to mount prints in a floating frame so I add a border in photoshop. Since this problem cuts off parts of the border, adding a frame with even borders is a crap shoot! I would like to figure out what the problem is so I can get consistent results.

I've been through every tab in the dialog and on the printer screen but I can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!

Janet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello John,

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to make these screen captures and answer my question. I did locate the "amount of extention" you showed. That did the trick!! I probably looked at this but didn't understand what it was because I haven't encountered it before. 

Thanks too for the hint about the on-screen manual. I didn't realize that both the manual and the Professional Print software were installed in my start menu. (I had been searching in vain for both on the internet) Do you use the Canon Professional Print software or do you just print through Photoshop? I installed ProPrint to the plug-in folder but can't find it in the software. (Win10, Ps6 and Lr6.13)

Regards,

Janet (Echo)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the Pro-300, but will try to help.

Printing borderless will generally result in some image loss becasue the printer needs to extend the image to be sure the entire paper surface is covered. You can control the extend of extension in the printer driver.

Look for a setting something like this in your printer driver if you want to print borderless.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 092522.jpg

Also check your On-Screen Printer Manual.

The following is for my printer, but yours should have something similar.

If you want an even border you need to select a configuration that has all borders at least as large as the greatest of the four values shown. I can't print to LTR paper with a .25 inch border all around from Lightroom.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 093201.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello John,

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to make these screen captures and answer my question. I did locate the "amount of extention" you showed. That did the trick!! I probably looked at this but didn't understand what it was because I haven't encountered it before. 

Thanks too for the hint about the on-screen manual. I didn't realize that both the manual and the Professional Print software were installed in my start menu. (I had been searching in vain for both on the internet) Do you use the Canon Professional Print software or do you just print through Photoshop? I installed ProPrint to the plug-in folder but can't find it in the software. (Win10, Ps6 and Lr6.13)

Regards,

Janet (Echo)

EJW28
Apprentice

You might try exporting the image and printing from the Canon Profesional Print Studio software (downloadable from Canon Website)  There is much better control over the image and paper sizes.

Hello EJW,

Thank you very much for suggesting the Print Studio software. I'm going to try that next...now that I found it lurking in my start menu. I didn't realize that it downloaded when I set up my printer last month so I did try to download it from the website but the link doesn't work. It's a good thing this printer does such a beautiful job because learning it so far has been like groping in the dark! 

Regards,

Janet (Echo)

Announcements