cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pro-1000 Printing Dark

floyd
Contributor

Hi, everyone!

I did read the thread about dark prints with the Pro-100, but it dealt with color images. I strictly print black and white.

So I bought a Canon Pro-1000 after reading many positive personal and professional reviews. I made my first two prints today, and they are a too dark. Let me qualify that statement. My first print was definitely too dark. So I lowered the brightness control on my 27" iMac monitor to the lowest setting, one bar showing. Then I went back into the Development module in Lightroom and lightened the image about a stop/stop and a half. The second print had much better highlight detail but the shadows were still too dark.

Because I print just B/W I didn't calibrate my monitor. I can barely see the image on my monitor when editing. What can I do to increase the brightness of print and still see the image on the monitor enough to edit it? Also, any ideas why the shadows would still be too dark but hte highlights are fine?

I'lll do my best to describe my settings.

Paper: Hahnemuhle Baryta FB (glossy) 8.5x11

Settings:

Lightroom handles color managing (I think!). Using a Canon print profile.

All paper settings are high quality, glossy fine art.

Please help!

Sorry for my ignorance. Hopefully my descriptions above will give you an idea of my issue. Please ask questions, but don't assume I know much of the technical lingo.

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

I printed the test print and it came out pretty good. I was watching a youtube video where a guy showed how to increase brightness and contrast in the print module of Lightroom, so the monitor brightness remains the same. After increasing the brightness by a value of 25 (100 is the maximum) and the contrast by 20, the results were, by my eye, spot on!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements