Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro-1 and OLDER Canon Photo Papers

3D-Nick
Contributor

Hi!

I have just bought an used Canon Pixma Pro-1
and when reading the user guide it says that you should NOT use some of the Canon Papers with Pro-1.

"Do not use the following types of Canon genuine paper.

- Glossy Photo Paper "Everyday Use" <GP-501>

- Photo Paper Glossy <GP-502>

- High Resolution Paper <HR-101N>

- T-Shirt Transfers <TR-301>"

Why can´t you use these Canon Papers, are they only for dye-based ink ?

How about other old Canon Papers like these

(I have a lot of them because i used them together with my Canon i9950 (dye-ink)

Canon Photo Pro PR-101

Canon Photo Plus Glossy PP-101

Canon Photo Plus Semi-Glossy SG-101

Canon Photo Semi-Glossy SG-201

Canon GP-401

One Strange thing is that the user guide says that you should not use

the High Resolution Paper HR-101N,

but on canons website Canon Pixma PRO-1 is listed as a compatible printer.. (maybe someone make a misstake)

I called Canon (Sweden) and they said they didn´t know and should come back later if they found any information

So now my hope is that someone here knows anything about it

7 REPLIES 7

3D-Nick
Contributor

No answers ?!

The same Canon Photo Papers that my Pro-1 is not allowed to use goes for Pro-10 and Pro-1000 too.

The Pro-100 can use the papers, that is because i think these papers are for dye-ink printers only.

But it would be nice to know if the other photo papers that i added is for dye-ink only OR for both types of ink.

You could try contacting Red River Paper in the US. They are a third party supplier so if they have a recommended replacement for your Canon papers there should be good confidence that the Canon papers would work.

Depending on how much money you have invested in the old Canon papers you could always run a test.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John Hoffman.

Thanks for your reply.

I can use my "older" Canon Photo Papers with my "older" Canon Photo Printer i9950.

It is mostly my curiosity about the "older" Canon Photo Papers and IF i can use them on my PRO-1 or not.

I have called Canon (Sweden) and they said they will come back to me if they find any information about older canon photo paper and Pro-1.

Hi 3D-Nick.

In addition to the good information provided by jrhoffman75, Canon continues to make various glossy, semi-gloss, and matte papers.  All of our photo inkjet papers are designed for use with our dye-based ink; they also accommodate our pigment-based inkjet printer ink. 

If the paper profiles do not directly line up between old paper and the paper profiles for newer printers, there are usually close analogues.  Some experimentation may be required for optimal print results.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your information.

If i understand you correct, I CAN use ALL Canon Photo Papers both older ones and newer ones with both dye-ink and pigment-ink. What i don´t understand is WHY do Canon in the user guides for the Pro-1, Pro-10 and Pro-1000 mention NOT to use some of the Canon Papers.

So, What you are saying is that I CAN use all of my older Canon Photo Papers with my Pro-1 without damageing the printer ?!

Hi 3D-Nick,

The older papers can be used.  ICC profiles weren't developed for some older papers for use with newer (at the time) printers.  They were recommended not to be used because the output could not be guaranteed accurate.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your information.

In the Canon Website under FAQ, where you can download drivers and manuals, it says that it is in the back-loader ONLY that you can not use those Canon genuine papers that are mentioned NOT to use.

But can you use them in the manual-loader ? 

Can you confirm this ?

And if i understand you correct I can use all other Canon Photo Papers in the Back-loader ?

(even if they will not be perfectly color matched to the existing profiles)

Announcements