cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing imageRUNNER printers using generic plus pcl6 driver

SmithStiff
Apprentice

Hi,

I need to replace a Canon iR C5535i with a Canon iR DX C5840i. 

I'm using a windows print-server. The existing printer has the generic plus pcl6 driver installed. The new printer also supports it.

When the old printer will be replaced by the new one with the same settings (same printer name, same IP...), will it work without changing anything on server or client side? No need for recognizing the new printer somehow or doing something on clients machines?

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

Stephen

Thanks for posting!

While our Forum Community members are welcome to chime in, Canon does not provide direct support for imageRUNNER series products, but your dealer will be able to help you!

If you don't have a dealer, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) and we will be happy to provide you with the names of dealers in your area!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

When it's time to replace the device, I would uninstall it and its drivers from the print server. I would then install the new printer and include the drivers that are most common in your user environment. Windows 10/windows 11, etc.

This way all someone needs to do It's open Windows explorer, type the servers \\hostname or \\IPAddress and double click on the printer to add it to their system.  You can also deploy it via group policy.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the replay.

Do I understand correctly, I need to uninstall and install the printer even when it has exactly the same driver and settings to be recognized as new printer?

Announcements