cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mg7720 does not connect to network, but does find the name of the network

Canon-or-Cannot
Contributor

does not prompt me for a password of home network even if i change the name of the network in my router settings.

The standard setup finds the name of the network (you call it access point but its not, also the printer calls it a router but its not). I click my home network name it starts to spin it times out., Everyday forever past 5 years all the time this is an issue. Once in awhile it works, and then I go about my business but then we have issues with home network:

And

the main problem is it does not prompt me to enter a password

to troubleshoot

i changed the name of the network, it does not come up on the screen

the neighbors networks do come up lots of laughs

I hand type the name of the new network into boxes and then again it never prompts me for a password

it used to have an ip address now it does not

the configuration page prints only the name of tne network not any ip addresses or ip4 or ip6 data

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The printer will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.  

If the wireless is dual or tri-band and using the same SSID name for all broadcasts, this might be the issue. 

What is the printer trying to connect to.  You can call it whatever you want. (AP, modem/router, combo).  The device that broadcasts wireless.  Something needs to be performing DHCP on the network.

I recommend assigning the printer a static IP, but this is up to you.  This can be done on the printer, or on the "device" that performs DHCP.

Steps to set the printer up for wireless connection varies, but all methods are covered here:

Support | MG Series - Inkjet | PIXMA MG7720 | Canon USA

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Canon-or-Cannot
Contributor
Split network s 2.4 and 5. the password does not prompt. Homenet is on the scrren, homenet5g is not, that's correct. I have split network so your point is mute. Will try option b
Thank you

also i might try "enable direct communication with a computer or smartphone, etc to retrieve the setting details and setup"

I have no idea what that is talking about

it comes under cableless setup and there are no  popups on my laptop so what the heck is that about

CABLELESS SETUP

your answers should come to me directly with no links 

The links dont work that is why i came to the community

My link takes you to the following page:  "Wireless Help for the MG7720.

This page has helpful information for setting a MG7720 up wirelessly.  

Windows

MAC

iOS

Android

etc.

Directly with no links?  There is no reason for me to retype what Canon has already provided on the support portal for your device.  Not sure why you don't think this information is helpful.  It provideds step by steps connection instructions with pictures.  I suggest you review the information.

wifi.png  Clear and concise information is provided.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have tried all the software and downloads and whenever I try another run of trying things, I delete the printer from the device manager, download the software that came out 7 years ago and

IT hooks up to the usb wire, but dangling dangerously from a latop out in the living roomo with the printer on a tv stand (lol)

I ran the  IJ Netwok tool

and plan to 

reinstalll any applicable drivers from this site 

one of many

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

this ij network took i ran on 4/9 returns the non descriptive"there are ports" as below from customer x with no resolve from the canon community . The original main problem is still that the home network displays on the screen but does not prompt me for a password. even rebootged router, i even tried to change the name of the network, that resutls in no network name showing up on the computer and when i type into the boxes "newlynamednetwork",  it wont find it.  I also went into the printers screen and reset all the settings 

CUSTOMER X

There are ports that cannot be used with their current settings..

Hi,

I need some help please.

Printer : Canon G3400

OS       : Windows 10

run the IJ Netwok tool, which I do. Both the locally connected as well as the remotely connected pc both give the error message: There are ports that cannot be used with their current settings.

Please can you assist me?

Canon.PNG

In your original message, you state that you have the PIXMA MG7720, but in your last post, the PIXMA G3400 is listed.

Which printer do you own?

In regards to connecting your printer to your wireless network; when you are not prompted for a password, that is a security measure built into your router.  In this case, only the WPS method of connecting will work.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements