cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF741Cdw/MF743Cdw not recognized by new Mac running Sonoma

Flywhoaman
Apprentice

New computer with Sonoma 14.3 did not recognize printer.  Downloaded new drivers computer does not "see" printer on the network.  Entered location but printer is still not available.  (This worked before on older Mac).  HELP.  I do not know why the downloaded printer drivers don't show up anywhere but on the download section!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start by reviewing this thread.  

[Click HERE to view relevant post.]

The steps in my reply will apply to your printer as well.  

You did not specify what model you owned 743/741?

Here is a link to the MF 743Cdw support portal. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf743cdw

Here is a link to the MG741Cdw support portal.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf741cdw

If your device was purchased outside the US, please visit Canon Global for support in your region.

For Product and Support Information | Canon Global

If you have questions, please ask for assistance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start by reviewing this thread.  

[Click HERE to view relevant post.]

The steps in my reply will apply to your printer as well.  

You did not specify what model you owned 743/741?

Here is a link to the MF 743Cdw support portal. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf743cdw

Here is a link to the MG741Cdw support portal.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf741cdw

If your device was purchased outside the US, please visit Canon Global for support in your region.

For Product and Support Information | Canon Global

If you have questions, please ask for assistance.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the suggestion, yes it is the 741/743, and I downloaded both the upgrade which included the registration number for the machine, as well as the general driver and scanner driver.  (I obviously knew about these links prior to asking the question.)  I have had issues in the past which required locating the IP address in order to get the drivers to work but this time, the drivers download and don't seem to be utilized when trying to connect to the printer via wi-fi (the same channel that works for all the other devices).  My old Mac computer keyboard is useless so it was imperative that I get a new computer only to have these printer issues flare up in my face again.  I guess it is a call to Canon...

YAY.  I went to the old computer and added printer sharing and now the new computer recognizes the installed printer drivers.  I deleted the IP attempt and now the correct driver is recognized and it bloody WORKS!  Thanks for the help in making me remain vigilant (a trait learned from being a former PC user!)  WHOO HOO

As we've removed the referenced thread, here's the information Rick presented there:

I found a printer and scanner driver for the 741Cdw for Mac OS Sonoma.

Installing as IP Printer:

There are a few ways you can do this.

This is how I do it. 

Mac:

If you have an existing instance of the printer installed Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners dialog remove it minus (-) 

Printer:

Connect the printer to your wireless network using the printers control panel.

Router:

Log into your router's admin portal and assign or reserve a static IP for the printer. You'll note I limit the scope of my DHCP Pool to 50 addresses.  This leaves IP's above and below my pool for my own use.  This is not required.  I used 192.168.1.99 for my printer.  This is below my address pool which starts at 100. 

Danny_0-1712072915450.png

Mac:

Using a web browser, log into the printers Remote UI, set a management PIN. (put this in a safe place)

Navigate to IPv4 settings.  Disable DHCP, change IP address to the one you reserved. Save.

Danny_1-1712072915309.png

Restart the printer using the admin portal.  Note you'll lose connection to the GUI since the IP has changed.  Log in using the "new" IP.  This will confirm your assignment and network config is correct.

Danny_2-1712072915374.png

Now run the MF Utility installer.  Note, It will detect the assigned IP for you, but it also offers the ability to enter one and search. 

Your printer will be installed as an IP printer with its static address. 

***Here is why you don't need to use the add printer by IP dialog in MAC OS.  You want Canon's UFRII Drivers, and all of the features offered by the driver.  

Now run the scanner driver.

If you have questions, let us know.  

Announcements