cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIndows 10 Will not recognize printers during driver installation

OhBrother1
Apprentice

I have two Canon photoprinters. Using the same cables they are setup to work on computer one running Win 10.

When I plug the same USB cables into computer two also running Win 10 and try to install the printers the setup program never recognizes either printer. I tried with the firewall turned off, no help. Ditto for antivirus programs.

The Printers and scanners app, which in my lifetime has never worked to automatically recognize and install anything, does not recognize the printers when searching for them. But again, never in recorded history, has the Printers and Scanner app recongized a printer without first manually installing the driver, so that means zilch. No one will be surprised that the windows printer troubleshooter doesn't find any problem.

Why would the same printers, same cables, same drivers install and continue to work without problems on computer one but not computer two? Before typing this I plugged the printers back into computer one and they work fine so its not the cables, its not the printers and its not the drivers--I used the same drivers that i installed the printers with in Win 10 on computer one.

If anyone can figure this out thankyou in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you connect a different device to the computer port are they recognized?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings

In line with John's suggestion, you'll want to connect the printer directly to an available USB port, and not to a hub or adapter, even if powered.  Trying John's suggestion is recommended  and might be helpful.  

Normally drivers should be installed before connecting a USB device to a windows PC.  Some devices require waiting until you are prompted to make the connection during installation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have done all of that. This is not my first rodeo with Canon pritner drivers.

The problem, which I've experienced with Canon printer drivers in the past, is that the driver fails to properly configure the printer USB port which stops the installation process. The USB ports themselves on the computer work with every other USB device. I installed a Ricoh printer with no difficulty, but a Canon printer attached to the same USB port with the same cable will not install, stopping at the point where the driver is supposed to recognize the printer and configure the USB port. The driver installs, and you can see a port for the Canon printer under Prnters and Scanners/printer properties but the port is not configured so no printing. 

As I've said I have seen this before with other Canon printers (no other brand) on multiple different computers with different versions of Windows, so I see it as a bug in the Canon installer. Sometimes uninstall, reboot, etc works, but not this time.

Maybe there is an obscure way to manually configure USB printing ports when the driver consistently fails.

Off topic rant:  Epson printers are prone to clog but I never had problems installing the drivers, Canon printers don't clog like Epson printers but I have perpetual problems with the drivers.

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, OhBrother1!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer models you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements