cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX922 will not connect to wifi 6 router

jbreef
Contributor

I have a Pixma PX922 printer that I have never had any problems with.  I recently replaced my wifi router with a TP-Link Archer AX1800 which is wifi 6 (802.11ax) in order to take advantage of WPA3 security.  All of my wifi capable devices have no issues connecting to the router, however, when I attempt to connect my printer to the wifi network it fails.  The network discovery lists the SSID in the list of available networks, howeve, when I attempt to connect to the network I get the message "Failed to connect to the access point" followed by a list of reasons all of witch I have checked and double checked.  The failure occurs whether I use the WPS method or the Standard Method.  I haven't had any issues with wifi connectivity until I installed this router.  I checked the firmware for this printer and it is the latest Canon offers.  I have had to rely on wired connectivity to access this printer.  Anyone else have an issue with this combination?  Is this printer's wifi hardware not compatible with 802.11ax?  Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbreef
Contributor

The solution to this issue is to either use a direct wire or use a bridge that supports WPA/WPA2.  This device will not connect to a WPA2/WPA3 router.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its unlikely the MX922 will ever support WPA3.

If its chipset was capable, it would require a firmwre update to support this encryption standard.  Due to its age, I would not count on this support.

You best bet would be to enable both WPA2 and 3 on your router (if capable) to support backwards compatibility with devices that support older encryption standards. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply.  I have set up my router for WPA2/WPA3 Mixed.  All my other devices connect and as many of them are several years old I am sure they do not support WPA3 encription.  My concern is that for some reason the MX922 hardware/firmware for wireless is not compatible with 802.11ax.  My previous router was 802.11ac which the printer had no trouble connecting with.  I have not tried to configure my new router as WPA2 only which I could try to determine if it is the encription that is causing the issue.  As I mentioned in my post my fallback is to use the tried and true wired connection and not sweat it.

jbreef
Contributor

The solution to this issue is to either use a direct wire or use a bridge that supports WPA/WPA2.  This device will not connect to a WPA2/WPA3 router.

Robj
Apprentice

I believe i have the same issue with ts3522 i get connected without internet message. I just purchased the printer but it was released about 2 years ago 2021. You would think itvwould be combatable but thats all it can be.Has anyone else come up with a workaround other than wired because im running off a phone and ibalready have a usb kryboard and mouse connected. Dont want to buy a usb hub. Im tired of buying all these little cords and adapters. I couldnt justify spending 4,-$500 ,for a low end laptop as little as i have the need to type and print documents. A phone is just a mini computer with 1 periphial connection (charging port,) i just cast to my tv and use the wireless keyboard and mouse. "TECHNOLOGY" I love it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Robj,

Since this thread is 2 yrs old, you should consider starting a new thread. I'm confident your hardware and environments are substantially different.  

Wi-Fi 6 is backwards compatibl with Wi-Fi 5.  New routers that support WPA3 standard don't always support WPA2 by default unless you tell them to do so.  The other possibility are printers which do not support 5Ghz.  

Many dual and tri-band routers use the same SSID name for all broadcasts.  In some cases, its helpful to use unique names for each band, or to temporarily disable the 5G broadcasts while you are connecting the printer to 2.4Ghz wireless.  5G can be re-enabled once connection is established.  Other circumstances might exist.  If you need assistance, starting a new post will give your request the visibility it deserves.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements