cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G620 printer firmware update failed

roger684
Apprentice

I am trying to update the firmware on my canon g620 printer. I've done this once before a few months using the control screen panel and everything worked perfectly. This time I keep getting a message "Failed to update". When I click on "OK" it appears to show a red X with a wi-fi icon. This seems to indicate that there is no wi-fi connection, but I am connected because I can print from my computer to the printer.

I've tried using the Canon wi-fi connection assistant and it says "you are connected". This has been going on for two days without success. To make it even more frustrating, the printer keeps trying to update the firmware every ten or fifteen minutes and it keeps saying "Failed to update".The Canon chat utility is useless because they want to charge you money to help you.

I just want to know what I can do to get the firmware update to work like it did the first time I updated the firmware using the same identical method. I also have a Canon G3270 printer that I'm using that is wi-fi connected so I just don't see why the g620 doesn't seem to recognize it's connected to the same computer.

Even after I shut the printer down and turn it back on a few hours later it still keeps trying to update the firmware without success. I can't seem to find a way to stop it from continuously trying to update. What would happen if I just reset everything to default? I need help resolving this issue.

Roger

11 REPLIES 11

shazzieroo
Apprentice

I just saw this after posting about my G620 not taking the update. I don't have any answers for you because I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING to no avail... but I feel slightly better knowing I'm not the only one?

At least someone else is experiencing the same issue. I expect more g620 printer owners to come forward with similar problems since the firmware update was first released only a day ago. 

As for your paper feeding issue, there are numerous YouTube tutorials on how to clean the printer rollers that feed the paper. A lot of them seem to have corrected the problem. Hope this helps. 

ronczap
Apprentice

I am having the same issue. The update fails no matter how many times I try.

Turning the printer off and on doesn't help

I turned off Auto Update - waiting to see that stops retrying the update

Glen62
Apprentice

I have the same issue. I've tried updating from the printer web page and also using the printer buttons, and it fails every time. I'll keep an eye on this chat. Hopefully Canon will resolve the issue soon.

I wonder if anyone from Canon actually monitors this forum...

Not sure if they monitor this forum but they should. I now cannot change paper from 8-1/2x11 plain to 4x6 photo paper. I had no issues before trying to update the firmware. I can only assume they are related. If I can't get this fixed myself I will be forced to contact Canon directly (which hasn't been easy in the past) as I originally bought this printer for printing photo's.

glasswriter
Apprentice

Same problem here. I bought this printer to replace an Epson for which there are no longer Epson ink cartridges. I have to say, by and large, Canon sure makes it difficult to do most things that are easy on Epson printers. Also frustrated that AirPrint allows only 8 1/2 x 11 paper. On the positive side, printouts I'm getting from the G620 are superior to any but the most expensive Epsons.

SmirkingFox47
Apprentice

I am having this same issue and coincidentally, my printer has jammed every print I have tried since this firmware update.  I just got off the phone with "product support."  They said they cannot get my LAN info because I can't print, so they cannot help me and I should upgrade my printer.  No thanks!  

I know my wi-fi signal is fine, just as some others have said.  

Announcements