cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Re-install PIXMA MX490 W/O CD--It's Lost!

LiseF
Contributor

Hello All!

I need to re-install my Canon PIXMA MX490 Printer, but lost my install CD. Any way I can re-install w/o my install CD?  My printer is not recogonizing my desktop computer, nor is it connecting to my WiFi.  Everything worked before my new Dell was installed.  Then all of a sudden, even though all things were functioning well, the desktop would tell me, or the printer would tell the computer, it was offline.  NOTHING had been moved, changed, or touched.  Then a smart friend, who said, "I know how to fix this!"  (famous last words)  and removed all the Printer and parts (fax, etc) from the Settings!!!  NOW, of course, I can't get it back into the computer, w/o re-installing it!  Is there a free installation download to use, or must I buy another installation cd??

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not sure what 1.03 GPS is.

A dual or triband wireless network broadcasts on 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz and newer equipment supports Wi-Fi 6 and 7.

The printer however will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.

The link Danny provided above includes downloads for all the software available your printer.

Set up instructions are also available there (images I posted).  Before running the set up utility, the printer must be put into set up mode.

shadowsports_0-1717373915958.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

LiseF
Contributor

Addendum to above question:  

The computer & Printer are about 5 yrs old, and haven't ever given me any problems til this year.  I'm also trying to get the Printer to recognize and connect to my new WiFi...and that's not cooperating! I try to print from my computer to printer, when I send the document, the Queue says holds it and I get a msg saying the printer isn't responding.

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Lisa!  You can download everything you need for your PIXMA MX490 for free on the Canon USA web site.  Just go HERE.

Hope this helps!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings LiseF,

@Danny has provided a link to your printer's support portal.  

The printer has a 2.4Ghz radio and requires a 2.4Ghz wireless broadcast that supports WPA2 / AES encryption.  Please ensure your network supports these requirements. 

The support portal also has instructions for wireless set up.

shadowsports_0-1717272268038.png

The printer must be put into Wireless Set Up mode in order to connect or associate with a wireless broadcast.  This step is often overlooked.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My network is 1.03 GPS...is that the network you're talking about?

Everything was running, Wifi, wireless, printer...then nothing! Msg I kept getting was printer is offline...that's when scanning stopped working and now printing from desktop

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not sure what 1.03 GPS is.

A dual or triband wireless network broadcasts on 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz and newer equipment supports Wi-Fi 6 and 7.

The printer however will only connect to a 2.4Ghz broadcast.

The link Danny provided above includes downloads for all the software available your printer.

Set up instructions are also available there (images I posted).  Before running the set up utility, the printer must be put into set up mode.

shadowsports_0-1717373915958.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi RIck,

I meant to say I have 1.03 Gbps for WiFi speed

I did just as your instructions stated.  It worked!  I am online and connected to the WiFi in the house.  HOWEVER, when I went to test print something from my desktop to the printer, I got the same ol' message BEFORE a new ISP was installed to the house:  "Printer not responding"

Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance.  Lisa

LiseF
Contributor

Hi All,

I have a Canon PIXMA MX490 series printer...it stopped working or printing from my desktop. I have gotten a "Printer not responding" msg, for a while.  Almost a month ago, I got connected to a new ISP.  I had help on this board from shadowsports/aka: Rick, on how to get my stubborn printer to recognize the new isp/WiFi...that worked! So, I am online with WiFi on the printer.  I gave it a test print..."printer not responding" . I did a troubleshooter: all systems clear...except one:  Problem with Printer: "There  might be a problems with Canon Mx490 series Printer. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot."   HOW does THAT work??  Does anyone have any advice on how to get my printer to work?  There is nothing in the queue...that's been all cleared.  My other option is to take it back to Staples!  I'd rather fix it at home, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Lise

click here to view the gallery
Announcements