cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Repeatedly goes offline on wireless - my learnings

jt2
Apprentice

Hi,

I've recently been frustrated with my MX922 printer on wifi.  It repeatedly showed up as "offline" in Windows 7 and now Windows 10.  I could reconnect it reliably by going to the printer and re-doing the WPS set-up, but it would seem to lose its connection shortly after, and then I couldn't reconnect it without doing the WPS set-up.  

Note its possible there were more than one issue involved here.   Eventually I discovered it was helpful to check whether the printer was actually connected to WiFi or not.  The way to do this theoretically is to look at the printer's wireless configuration, and see if it shows an IP address and connection.  For me the better way was to get into the wifi router management screen and look at the attached devices and see if the printer showed up there.  (For my netgear router, you do that by pointing your browser at the router's embedded web server at 192.168.1.1 IP address and logging in with the router's password).  Another way to do this is to view the printers IP address (see its wireless settings) and try connecting to the printer's embedded web server using your browse (for me it was assigned 192.168.1.6 for example; this will likely be different on your network).   If it connects, this is also a convenient way to change printer settings without using the buttons and on-printer menus.

When I discovered the printer was indeed connected to the WiFi router, then it became clearer which fixes might be more relevant; some people appear to have have problems connecting the printer to the WiFi network itself, so some of the suggestions below are better for those problems.  If the printer is connected to WiFi then the issue is in Windows, and other settings might help there. 

Anyhow, I've searched through the forums and the internet, and I wanted to share all the most useful suggestions I found in one message. Note you can access printer settings through the embedded web server as above, or through the printer menu at Menu/Setup/Device Settings/Lan Settings/Other settings.  View the current state of things (such as to find the printer's IP address) at Menu/Setup/Device Settings/LAN Settings/Confirm LAN settings/WLAN setup or Print LAN settings

- Turn off WiFi channel autoselect in the wifi router and hardcode it to a channel, the one that the printer thinks it is using.

- Turn of IPv6 in the printer settings.  

- Turn off DRX in the printer settings.

- Change the timeout of the WSD setting in the printer to 20 minutes

- Change the port configuration using teh port settings configuration you can find somewhere in windows control panel for the CAnon MX922 printer from WSDxxxx for CNBJxxxx.  Where this is varies from version of Windows.  For Windwos 10 I found this at Control Panel (right click start)/View Devices and Printers, then right click ont he Canon MX922 printer to open "printer properties", and go to the "ports" tab, and change the port from WSD to CNB.  Note there appear to be both a printer port and fax port for each, so you should change it appropriately.  Note also Windows may create a second printer device entry when you think you are changing the port configuration (i.e. I think Windows leaves a WSD version while creating a CNB version).  Just make sure you are connecting to the CNBJ version.  I manually deleted the WSD version when things seemed to work.)

What Canon told me is that If you let Windows find and install the printer it will set it up on the WSD Printer port.  If you install the software from Canon it will set it up on the CNBJ printer port.  The CNBJ port is more reliable, and I indeed found this seems to best solve my problem.

I hope this helps - I spent a fair bit of time trying to diagnose what was going on, and so far this has solved the problem, so I hope it will solve your problem too.  

Note I don't know however if only one of these fixes would have worked as well as changing all of them.  If you are in fact connected on the WSD port I would start with changing that and see if that fixes things for you.  

Also note Canon support is very responsive, but frankly this is a basic issue that seems to be avoidable with better configuration software, better diagnostic software, and specific documentation, as it seems to be a common issue.  For me to experience this issue is just odd - I didn't do anything weird other than try to set it up.  If I was a new user I would have returned the printer because of this frustration.  But I'm happy now that it is working...

0 REPLIES 0
click here to view the gallery
Announcements