cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Win updates lose network printer

GerryPeters
Contributor

I have a Canon MX 920 printer connected to my upstairs Win 10 computer. My downstairs Win 10 computer has been working fine when printing to my upstairs computer.

I recently did some Win updates on my upstairs Win 10 computer that disabled this network printing. Not only did the printer box not come up during printing, but when I removed the network printer and tried to reinstall it by choosing "add printer" in Control panel / devices and printers. An error message said Windows could not find the network printer.

Fortunately I do makes image files of my C drives. I reverted my upstairs computer to a 11/10/21 image and instantly got the network printer to work again. Clearly the Win Updates caused the loss of my network printer.

Does anyone know the specific update that causes this? Or if there is a solution other than not installing that Win Update? In my setup I never let Windows do automatic updates. My computers are only updated when I choose to do so manually.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is your printer connected to your network (wired or wireless) or directly to the upstairs computer via USB?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My network of 3 computers (2 Win 10 and 1 XP) is wired. The printer is USB. I also have a Canon MX 410 connected to the upstairs computer as my alternate printer. The MX 410 was also disabled by the WIN updates, so that's clearly the cause.

GerryPeters
Contributor

On 11/10/21 I noted that KB:5006670 WIN update broke my 920 network printer on my downstairs computer. On 12/21/21 when I next ran Win updates it included these 3 updates:

KB5007289
KB5008212
SERVICING STACK 10.0 19041.1371

I'm sure that one of these updates is the culprit. Does anyone know which one is causing my network printer to not work on my downstairs computer?

GerryPeters
Contributor

There's a new 920 driver. I installed it and now my printer is not a USB printer anymore. It's a true network printer connected by wireless to my Att modem. it was very easy to do. Now the updates have no effect

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements