cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPB6230 Not connecting after power-outage. Forgot how to re-connect.

printbro93
Contributor

So I was returning from out of town when I came back home to see that the power had been out while I was gone. The power's back on, obviously. But now I'm trying to get my printer to connect to my pc via wi-fi and its just not working. It was working before I left. It should be an easy fix but honestly I forgot what to do. It's been a while since this thing broke.

I wanna ask for help cause I'm afraid I'll break something trying to troubleshoot, but as a former help desk agent I don't wanna annoy the help desk agents with this so I'm gonna annoy this forum.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base -

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

normadel
Authority
Authority

Is the printer set to get an IP address via DHCP (automatic by the router)? If it is, the assigned IP address could very likely have changed after the extended power outage. The computer thus cannot find it.

Printers should be given STATIC IP addresses, which will not change after they are turned off for a while. This is done in the printer's control panel, ALONG WITH setting the router up to set aside IP addresses to be assigned statically. Your router maker or supplier could assist you in doing their part, or get local help from a knowledgeable person.

Funny things can also happen. I have a Pixma MG5420 using static IP, which has occasionally become unfindable via WiFi even though it has been continuously on and the IP hasn't changed. It takes a restart to get it connecting again.

Announcements