cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF743cdw - can't connect to printer from MAc

KC33
Apprentice

Simply cannot connect to the printer over my wireless network. Using MAC OS 11.2.1 Big Sur.

Have deleted and re-installed printer many times. The network won't even see it. Tried to install printer from IP address and that didn't work either.  Am at a complete loss. Downloaded new drivers but that had no effect either. Latest drivers say compatible to macOS 11.1 and we published on 01/22/2021.  Is new driver software coming?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , I called apple and they had me do some resets, since my other printers do no have an issue, hey had me do hold control, option, shift, simultaneously while powering up, then shutdown and restart normally, then  delete and reinstall printer, this has now been working for a week, didn’t work even for a day previously, hope this helps

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@KC33 wrote:

Simply cannot connect to the printer over my wireless network. Using MAC OS 11.2.1 Big Sur.

Have deleted and re-installed printer many times. The network won't even see it. Tried to install printer from IP address and that didn't work either.  Am at a complete loss. Downloaded new drivers but that had no effect either. Latest drivers say compatible to macOS 11.1 and we published on 01/22/2021.  Is new driver software coming?

Greetings,

Its possible to connect your printer to your wireless network without a computer.  See how here:

Canon Knowledge Base - Wireless Setup for the imageCLASS MF746Cdw, MF745Cdw, MF743Cdw, MF741Cdw, MF6...

For reliability, I'd assign it a static IP.  Have you verified the printer is connected to your wireless network?  Verify its connected in the routers admin portal.  You can also verify the IP its been assigned.

If your computer is also connected to the same network, you can open a browser and enter the IP of the printer.  You should see the printers webserver.  If you cannot, try pinging the printer from a terminal window.  If the two devices cannot communicate, you need to resolve this before you can try installing software.     

Once you are sure the printer and computer can communicate you can install the software.  The software that is avaible as of today is certified for Big Sur 11.1.  I do not know if it will work with v11.2, but it may and it won't hurt for you to try.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm having the same exact issue.  The Windows PC(s) have zero issue with the MF743, but the three MacOS are having the same issue. All Macs are now on 11.2.1, but the issue has been occurring since Big Sur was released.  Canon drivers/software have been updated as well.  

The printer has IPv6 turned off, static IP address, pinged, and the control panel can be viewed.  

If I delete the printer, readd the printer, I can print to it for that print job, but coming back to it a day or two later, it cannot be found.  But still pings/panel available.  

Was this ever resolved, I have the exact same issue, mine even sometimes doesn't wake from sleep mode and has to be manually turned off and back on, have done several firmware updates, the two issues don't seem to be related, i even tried installing the printer by IP and gave it a Que  name, but still loses connection, you can ping and go to web server, but the only way to print is to delete and reinstall yet again, this is embarrassing to me because I set these up for customers every day and i can't get my own personal printer at home working properly

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello KC33,

If the printer will not connect to the Mac and you network does not see a connection to the printer, I would suggest resetting the prinnter's network settings using the steps provided in the link HERE.

Once the network settings have been reset, you can try running the printer's network setup again using the steps provided in the link HERE. After the printer has been reconnected, you can check the printer's new ip address using the steps HERE. You can check if your Mac can reach the printer by opening a web page an entering the printer's ip address to see if your Mac can get to the log in page for the printer.

If you can get to the log in page for the printer, you can try reconnecting the Mac to your printer to see if it will work. If the Mac still can't connect, I would suggest contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with any network connection issues.

Hi Hector,

Im having the same issue here. In my house, we have iPhones, Macs, and Windows 10 computers. All the iPhones and Windows 10 machines work fine. It’s our 4 Mac’s that will not print off the imageCLASS. It’s also not a network issue. Every Mac can see the printer on the network including it’s IP address. But, alas, it refuses to print. I’ve been troubleshooting this for months now and it seems to revolve around a firmware update with the printer. None of our Macs have been updated before or after we could print. The only thing, however, that was updated was the printers firmware. I haven’t gotten around to downgrading the firmware yet(I’m not even sure how to do that, I’ve been pretty busy with work). I was able to reset the printer entirely and was able to print from a Mac.. for a day. In addition, we don’t have Big Sur. We have two computers with Catalina, one with Mojave, and one with High Sierra. All of our iPhones are up to date including the windows 10 computers. This is very frustrating, because despite us having W10 we use our Macs most of the time.. that’s why we bought a printer that has AirPrint. imageCLASS is a very recent Printer.. I’m curious why there’s no support for BigSur and below.. especially for something that was designed with AirPrint. Please let your customers know what steps to take.

Hi , I called apple and they had me do some resets, since my other printers do no have an issue, hey had me do hold control, option, shift, simultaneously while powering up, then shutdown and restart normally, then  delete and reinstall printer, this has now been working for a week, didn’t work even for a day previously, hope this helps

bborcherding
Contributor

I have an Eero wireless network throughout the house with multiple Macs, iPhones and iPads all trying to print to my MF743cdw. I found two ways to address the "printer not found issue" (after quite a bit of trial and error). First, I found that my printer was often getting a new IP address from the Eero network via DNS which resulted in the Macs no longer being able of connect (as apparently the Apple printer add features locks in a fixed IP address). To solve this I checked the IP address assigned to the printer and then went into the network settings on the printer and changed the IPv4 settings to use fixed address and added the IP address from above. I then went into printer settings on all my Macs, deleted the auto selected printer and re-added the printer by using the IP address (not the auto). This seemed to work until it didn't. Apparently my Eero network would still change the IP ranges and sometimes the fixed address would be out of range and my Macs could no longer connect. This was a bit of a head scratcher having not achieved a CCIE or CCNA certification. The more elegant solution is to have your router fix (or reserve) the printer IP address. This will ensure that the network always assigns the same IP address to the printer...and your Macs will no longer lose connection. 

toby100
Apprentice

I doubt if it’s the driver, is the printer picking up an IP address? if so the best way would be to set the printer to a static IP and put it up above what DHCP would see, you’ll want the last set of numbers above 200, then when you go to install it on the Mac , don’t use Bonjour, click the one in the middle for IP , set it to the IP you set the printer to, give the que the name “ Print” without the quotation marks, those where just for illustrations, then select software at the bottom and select the exact printer name and model, since you have downloaded, I believe the ppd from canon website, you should be good to go, don’t hesitate to leave feedback if this doesn’t work 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements