cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting to the WiFi Password screen on a Canon Pixma MG6220

BassBonePhotog
Contributor

Good Day! Our new Internet router has no WPS button. Our Canon MG6220 can find the WiFi network, but does not open the screen to enter the password. It goes right to looking for the WPS signal - and the router does not send one. Please help!

5 REPLIES 5

dlf26
Contributor

I got this reply last December from a Canon user with T-Mobil wifi -- if you have that this is the answer:

I have a Canon MB2720 printer and I just switched to T-Mobile home internet. I spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile and Canon and could not resolve the issue. Like everyone else on the replys on here no one has ever seen this problem…….. so I just started guessing. Went on the T-Mobile app for my router and went to Network. I changed the recommended settings against T-Mobiles advice. When I changed the WPA version to WPA/WPA2 instead of the recommended setting by T-Mobile (WPA2/WPA3) I was able to enter a password on my canon printer. When the router was set at the recommended setting by T-Mobile on the router the printer would find the wireless network like all the videos online but would not ask for a password. The videos on the internet by Canon are incorrect and needs to include this step in setting up a wireless connection if your printer does not ask for a password once it finds your network. Hope this helps the T-Mobile users. 

Thanks. I'll see if I can do this.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Worth noting.

Some new T-Mo routers are 5Ghz only.  This is a problem since many Canon printers only have a 2.4Ghz radio and cannot receive or connect to a 5Ghz broadcast.

in addition, many dual band routers use the same SSID name for both broadcasts 2.4Ghz/5G.  This too can cause connection issues as the printer may try to associate with the wrong band or broadcast.  Solution here is to a) Use a separate SSID name for the 2.4 and 5G broadcasts.  Or b) temporarily disable the 5G broadcast when connecting the printer, then turn that broadcast back on after successful connection.

If the network hardware is using WPA3, and a printer only supports WPA2 security it might not associate or even try to connect.  The specifications will tell you what security the printer supports.  These are available on the products support page or in its user guide.  Many older printers are WPA2 only.

Most Canon printers require that you re-run the set up utility in order to re-connect the printer to a new wireless network after changing or getting new hardware.  This is well documented and is the suggested way to change the password. 

This is true for the MB2720 & MB6220

shadowsports_0-1684880216426.png

Solution

Wireless setup is a quick and easy way to connect your printer to your network. This can be used if you are setting up a new computer, adding additional computers, or reconnecting to the network after a router or network change.

The re-connection instructions are the same for both devices.  Hope this helps clarify.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the idea. I tried what you suggested but the MG6220 printer still won;t connect. And Canon has cut off support for this product, offering no alternatives (even paid support). I have liked the printer but will probably replace it with a different brand because of this.

BassBonePhotog
Contributor

I wonder if Canon not continued support on the MG6220 series means it hasn't updated the driver for Ventura?

Announcements