cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MX922 - connected to the WIFI, computer not seeing it when it scans

PixmaMX922Chris
Contributor

Trying to set up my Canon Pixma MX922 printer to my computer.  Connected the printer to the WIFI no issues, blue radio/wifi light on, checked in the settings - looks like it is connected.

Then try to set up my computer (Windows XP, yes, old school) to connect to the printer.  Cannot find / see the printer.  I had been using another identical printer here at our house, had a head issue.  I deleted all of the drivers that I had on my computer before setting up the new printer.

We can print using USB direct hook up.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PixmaMX922Chris
Contributor

Bypassed the Canon software......   tried repeatedly to setup the printer using the downloaded software directly from Canon - no go.

Spoke with local internet provider, we simply went to devices and printers in the control panel, I could see the printer, installed it with default drivers - working.

Canon software has an issue...  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

PixmaMX922Chris
Contributor

Bypassed the Canon software......   tried repeatedly to setup the printer using the downloaded software directly from Canon - no go.

Spoke with local internet provider, we simply went to devices and printers in the control panel, I could see the printer, installed it with default drivers - working.

Canon software has an issue...  

Hi PixmaMX922Chris.

The Canon drivers for the MX922 require Windows XP to be up to at least Service Pack 3 (SP3), which includes the required DotNet packages.  If the Canon drivers still have trouble installing, ensure security software isn't blocking the driver installation.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, you may click HERE to search our knowledge base, or create/log into a Canon Account and register your printer HERE for additional support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I misspoke, windows 7 is what I have.  

The system was timing out trying to "find" the printer.  Couldn't get past that.  

I had downloaded new drivers.

No security other than Microsoft Essentials running.

I did open an account... doesn't do any good, no additional help.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should resolve this issue.  Please ensure that the printer is not connectedf to the computer with a USB cable.  Also, ensure that the computer is on the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.  Then perform the following:

1.  Open the Control Panel from your Desktop or Start Menu.
2.  Open Programs and Features.
3.  Uninstall the MX920/MP Drivers and the Canon IJ Network Tool.
4.  Go back to the Control Panel.
5.  Open Printers or Devices and Printers.
6.  Right-click and delete or remove any copies of the printer that are listed there.

Once this has been done, visit this link to download and install the MX920 series MP Drivers.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I deleted / uninstalled all drivers prior to installing the new printer... 

Hi PixmaMX922Chris.

For Windows 7, you may need to add UDP 3702 as an exception in the Windows Firewall to allow the printer to communicate.  Other commonly used ports may be found at this article.

Also ensure the computer is not connecting to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) or to 5G.  The MX922's wireless is only capable of 2.4 GHz wifi, and most 5G routers keep the two types of wifi separate to maintain faster 5G speeds.  It's possible to connect the MX922 to a router using Ethernet (wired LAN connection) and use it with 5G connected computers and mobile devices.  If the computer is on aVPN, it will act like it's on the remote network, rather than the one through which it's connecting.  This would explain the USB working while wifi does not.

If the printer is closer to the router than 2 ft, move them at least 2 ft apart.  Being too closer may cause signal noise, which will cause the printer to similarly to being too far away.

If the printer is too far from the router, the signal may be too low to complete the setup.  For regular use, we recommend at least 70% signal strength, though it may require up to 80% minimum to complete the wireless installation.  If the signal strength is too low, move the printer closer to the router (no closer than ~ 2 ft), and/or minimize obstructions between the printer and router (doors, walls, shelving, etc.) to increase signal strength.

No VPN.

Printer / WIFI router are about 20ft apart.  Printer is connecting fine - as I put in my update, I am now able to print by using the Windows default drivers for the printer and not the freshly downloaded drivers...  go figure.

WIFI is not 5G capable here.   

Not sure what / how to add UPD 3702 as an exception - but like I said, printer is working using default driver on Windows and not the freshly downloaded Canon drivers.

Thanks

Announcements