cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add MF644cdw scanner in the MF Toolbox app

kboldt
Apprentice

Printer is MF644cdw

Computer is 2017 iMac running Mojave OS (10.14.6)

Went to this page to find scanner driver:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl...

The page shows this scanner driver along with a Download button:

Scanner Driver & Utilities for Macintosh V2.15.9 [OS X 10.11.6 - macOS 12.0.1]

The Download button downloaded this driver package:

mac-scan-v2159-00.dmg

I mounted the disk image and double-clicked the .pkg image. The Canon MF Scan Utility.app and MF Toolbox.app were installed in the Canon MF Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

I double-clicked the MF Toolbox.app file to start the MF Utilities app.

I opened the Network Scanner Settings dialog.

I clicked the + button to add my MF644cdw scanner.

I entered the IP address for the scanner in the Add Network Scanner dialog, then clicked the Add command button.

The following alert appeared:

The specified scanner is not supported. Check which scanners are supported, and then specify the scanner again.

I clicked the OK button.

What did I do wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello kboldt,

The issue you are describing would usually be caused by something blocking the scanner selector on the computer or poor communication. If the scanner selector can't properly communicate with the scanner, it can't verify that it is a supported model.

I would suggest unplugging the router from the power for 5 seconds and then plugging it back in. Once the network is back up, you can verify the printer's IP address on your network and you can try to add it again. If it is still unable to connect, you can try turning off any security software that is blacking the scanner connection.

If you are still unable to connect, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help with determining what is causing the issue.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello kboldt,

The issue you are describing would usually be caused by something blocking the scanner selector on the computer or poor communication. If the scanner selector can't properly communicate with the scanner, it can't verify that it is a supported model.

I would suggest unplugging the router from the power for 5 seconds and then plugging it back in. Once the network is back up, you can verify the printer's IP address on your network and you can try to add it again. If it is still unable to connect, you can try turning off any security software that is blacking the scanner connection.

If you are still unable to connect, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help with determining what is causing the issue.

Announcements