cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect printer to wifi (new router)

NikkiRose
Apprentice

I can't connect my printer to my new router. I have a Pixma MX490.

When I follow the instructions to connect, it displays my router, but doesn't give me the option to enter a passcode. It says "connecting" then "Failed to connect to the wireless router."

From my LAN printout:

- Connection is inactive

- SSID displays the correct router

- Signal strength is 0%

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi NikkiRose,

When you attempt to connect your printer but you are not given an option to enter a password, that is an indication that your router does not allow for that type of connection method.

To connect your PIXMA MX490 to your new router, please use the WPS method.  Please consult your router's documentation to determine how to enable WPS on the router.  Once enabled, please follow these steps in this article to set up your PIXMA MX490 for wireless use using the WPS method:

PIXMA MX490 Wi-Fi Setup using WPS

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried to use WPS but the MX490 cannot connect to the router.  Is there any way to manually enter wifi password?  Now the printer can find the wifi SSID but try to use empty password to connect to the router.

Hi,

If the router they gave you is running WPA3, then you wont be able to connect the printer or get to the password screen during Standard Setup. Please click HERE for more information about WPA3 security. 

I recommend changing the router settings to WPA2 and then try using the standard setup to connect the printer. At this point your network will appear and you will be able to enter your password and connect the printer. 

Once the printer is connected to your network, you can set the device back to WPA3. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I was having the same issue, but saw your advice and followed it.  I have Google Wifi network, and saw within the google home app to toggle off WPA3, Once I did this my network restarted in my home and from there I was able to get the password field to populate on this old MX490 and get the printer on the network.  Thank you. 

Announcements