cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign IP to imageCLASS MF455dw

W1AST
Apprentice

A client has a new ImageClass MF455dw. He has been having power outages and the software has not been finding the printer when power returns or the next time he goes to print. The printer is set up wirelessly.

Is there a way to set a static IP. Lock it in so that it always stays the same, like the next time the power drops and returns.

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

A reserved or static IP can be set on the printer or router.  I recommend the router.  Once complete, restarting the printer will allow it to grab the reserved / static IP.

We might be able to provide more specific information, if you provided the brand / model of your router.

Optional: Buy a UPS.  There is no reason to subject sensitive electrical devices to power outages, surges, dips, fluctuations, etc.   Small investment, huge return. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can set a static IP address on the printer, but you also have to set your router to have that address in a static address range (a range of IP addresses reserved for devices you want to give static addresses to).  If you don't do this, and the printer is turned off for any length of time, the router could give the address to something else. Then things get messy. Look at the setup guide for your router. If this is beyond you, get the help of a knowledgeable computer user or the router manufacturer.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Not the ones I purchase.  Most consumer grade UPS might not have the amps needed.  If you buy bare minimum, thats what you get.  So yes, if you put a 1000w draw on a 300w UPS you'll have issues.

A 445DW consumes at most 1330w and 6.4Amps

Maximum: Approx. 1330 W
Standby: Approx. 10 W
Sleep Mode: Approx. 0.9 W 

Standby and sleep 10W, .9W respectively.  I have at least 2 hrs comfortably.  I wouldn't be printing during a rainstorm, and if there is a surge or dip, the UPs's breaker would trip or AVR will supplement.  

While neither of these situations are ideal, having an extra layer of protection between your equipment and power provider is better that nothing.  All of my electronics are on UPS with the exception of appliances.  We are considering a Tesla power wall, but I'm not ready to give up my STI yet.  I live in CA.  We have power outages frequenty, especially during winter.  As long as my ISP doesn't go down I am usually able to finish out a TV program, before I have to physically shut stuff down.  I replace the batteries in my units every 3~5 yrs.  Never had any issues, including multiple printers.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can set a static IP address on the printer, but you also have to set your router to have that address in a static address range (a range of IP addresses reserved for devices you want to give static addresses to).  If you don't do this, and the printer is turned off for any length of time, the router could give the address to something else. Then things get messy. Look at the setup guide for your router. If this is beyond you, get the help of a knowledgeable computer user or the router manufacturer.

Announcements