cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved - Sharing Wired Network Printer MX870 with wireless laptops Window 7

DBozkurtian
Apprentice

I found the answer to my problem by searching the web and putting bits and pieces together from various support forums. Hope others could benefit from this.

Here's my setup.

DLink Router, connected (wired) to Desktop (Win XP) PC and MX870 printer.

2 or 3 laptops (Windows 7) unable to print to the network printer. I could have converted the wired printer to wireless , but then my laptops could print, and my desktop (with no network card) couldn't. I was determined to get them both to work in a wired configuration.

Here was the crux of the problem.

The MX870 comes configured with an IP address of something like 169.XX.XX.XX. My router uses the 192.168.XX.XX range. Once I changed the IP4 IP Address on the MX870, everything worked well. btw, I needed set a static IP address for the printer on my router too. See below.

Router Static IP

Next, you need to type the IP Address of the printer into your browser.

To find the IP address of your printer, hit the Settings button on the printer, then select

Device Settings | LAN Settings | Confirm LAN Settings| LAN Setting List

Write down the IP Address

Now go to your browser and type that IP address in. You should see CANON and Network Configuration at the top of the screen. Click on the Advanced Settings button.

This will bring you to a screen, where you can select Network Settings on the left menu. After you click Network Settings, you'll see the following screen. Make sure Use the following IP Address is checked, and then change the IP address to the one you set in your router as the Static IP Address. In my case, it was 192.168.0.112 (see below)

Canon Network Setting

Now for the final step. For this multifunction printer, you're not going to want to add a printer, you're going to want to add a Device. See image below.

Once you click this, Windows should be able to find the printer and install everything correctly. Good luck!

Add Device

1 REPLY 1

DBozkurtian
Apprentice

Update Sept 2013:

After changing routers (FIOS), I lost connection to the printer from my laptop. Following the above steps didn't work.

What ended up working was reloading the printer drivers here and following the instructions.

Worked like a charm. Good luck!

Announcements