08-25-2014 03:45 PM
I installed new printer ink cartridges in my PIXMA MP500 and got an error messsage indicating that the wrong printer heads were installed. Running Windows 7... compatability issues? Fix?
09-24-2014 09:17 AM
The printhead error is an indication that your PIXMA MP500 does not recognize the printhead or that the printhead itself is faulty. Please follow these steps to try to resolve this issue:
1. Confirm that the printer is powered on.
2. Pull open the paper output tray.
3. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. The print head will move to the replacement position.
4. Open the inner cover.
5. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.
6. Raise the print head lock lever.
7. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.
8. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.
9. Insert ink tanks into the print head.
10. Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.
11. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.
12. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit/printer cover.
If the printhead error persists, your PIXMA MP500 would require service.
Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to provide you with your available service options.
07-02-2015 03:45 PM
I've been using my MP500 for around 10 years now. In the past few months, I am not able to make prints with the colors correctly balanced no matter how many times I go though the clean and deep clean procedure. Now, within the past few days, the error message appears saying Incorrect Printhead Installed. Install Correct Printhead. I've tried all the recommended fixes with no success. I paid about $150 for it and it's served me well. I guess it's time to buy another one with a few features this one lacks. This go-around, I'm looking at other brands, but no H-P. ugh!
02-23-2017 05:58 PM
My printer is at least seven or eight years old. I followed the directions with the addition of gently wiping the print head with 90% alcohol (using a paper towel) before replacing the print head and ink tanks. That solved the problem for me.
08-15-2018 05:15 PM
I have had the same print head installed for over 10 years. THEN I get this message.
Call Cannon and they say they have no parts AND BUY A NEW PRINTER.
You can get a very good new print head on the internet for $25 and it works.
08-16-2019 05:25 PM - edited 08-16-2019 05:27 PM
Thanks to you!! I read your comment above and on the strength of that bought a new print head rather than a new printer. It worked and everything is ok now. So happy because I don't want to buy a new printer and for £30 I can keep my MP500 going a bit longer! Thanks again.