cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory card locked appears on my camera how do I unlock it?

snapshot
Apprentice

how do I unlock the memory card in my powershot a480?

29 REPLIES 29

t00nz843z
Contributor

First try the above tip from cicopo to see if that corrects the problem.  If not, the following video provides additional troubleshooting steps for this particular problem.  Would recommend trying these only for cameras that are out of warranty, or who's cost of professional repair would be more than the value of the camera:

that was really helpful, thank you!

I did some more research on the SD card lock and it seems I spoke to soon. Of course if you solved your problem already then disregard this or read it for future reference.

Here's what I found...there is a small switch in the card reader that sense the lock switch position. The lock switch on the card is just a piece of plastic with no influence on the card itself only the reader.

I would say test the card in a computer first now and see if ot works. Also an old or worn out lock switch might change position as it is inserted into the reader.

Inspect the card slot with a light and magnifying glass paying strict attention in the reader where the lock switch would be located when inserted. Maybe something had gotten into the reader, perhaps blow it out with compressed air.

THANK-YOU

borg478
Apprentice

How do i unlock my card in my power shot A580 please as it is locked.

There is nothing in your camera that is responsible for the card locked error it is the card. If you have moved the tab on the card to the unlocked position and you still hav that error message your card is at fault. Try a different card.

LordKaos
Apprentice

Hi!  I wish to add my case.

My memory doesn´t have the lock tab...never had it, but today the message "locked memory" appears.

I test with three other memories that have the lock tab, and all three works in both, locked and unlocked.

So I added to the "always" sd card, a little piece of tape to make the lock sensor in the camera to threat it as "not locked" and it works fine. Tomorrow I'll glue a little piece of plastic....I really don`t know why todat the camera detect for first time that the memory doesn´t have the tab.

Very strange, but it works 😄

Greetings!

KAOS

@LordKaos wrote:

Hi!  I wish to add my case.

My memory doesn´t have the lock tab...never had it, but today the message "locked memory" appears.

I test with three other memories that have the lock tab, and all three works in both, locked and unlocked.

So I added to the "always" sd card, a little piece of tape to make the lock sensor in the camera to threat it as "not locked" and it works fine. Tomorrow I'll glue a little piece of plastic....I really don`t know why todat the camera detect for first time that the memory doesn´t have the tab.

Very strange, but it works 😄

Greetings!

KAOS

Tape?  GLUE???  Toss that card in the garbage, where it belongs.  New cards are far cheaper than new cameras.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes don't be crazy get a new card!!!

LordKaos
Apprentice

Smiley Happy  here nothing is cheap, and this model is the one that can be used directly as USB without any reader.

The meaning of the post wasn´t to save the memories but to inform that some memories don't have the lock tab and the camera needs it for proper detection. (many sd card readers don´t care on the lock tab)

Announcements