Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: “memory card error”

Do you have to format the card before you use it?  If so how do you do that on the camera.  The Owners manuel isn't very helpful with this & a few other things.

Reputable Contributor

Yes go to yor settings menu the one with the hammer and wrench symbol then look down the list to Format. Select that and proceed to format the card. If you cannot select it because it is greyed out, unselectable, then I would strongly suggest sending that camera back for a return since yours is brand new.

New Contributor

I realize this is really late, but I just had a very similar issue. Brand-new camera, brand-new memory card, but I would get a "Memory card error" message in the top part of the camera screen as soon as I turned on my camera. This meant that I also couldn't take any pictures. I realized it was because I had gotten the wrong kind of memory card. The package I received has 2 memory cards, one large adapter for laptops (which is also the size required for the camera), and a smaller memory card which actually stores the memory. My issue was that I was using the adapter in the camera, because it is the correct size, but it wasn't working because there wasn't actually any memory on it. I hope you were able to solve your problem!!

Honored Contributor

@Julie31 wrote:

I realize this is really late, but I just had a very similar issue. Brand-new camera, brand-new memory card, but I would get a "Memory card error" message in the top part of the camera screen as soon as I turned on my camera. This meant that I also couldn't take any pictures. I realized it was because I had gotten the wrong kind of memory card. The package I received has 2 memory cards, one large adapter for laptops (which is also the size required for the camera), and a smaller memory card which actually stores the memory. My issue was that I was using the adapter in the camera, because it is the correct size, but it wasn't working because there wasn't actually any memory on it. I hope you were able to solve your problem!!

It sounds like you have only one memory card, not two.  The smaller card must inserted into the adapter.  You should only use a full size SD card from a major manufacturer.  I use SanDisk Extreme 32 GB cards in my DSLRs.

The micro-SD cards are unreliable when used with an adapter.  Only use micro-SD cards in devices that use them directly, without any adapter.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."