Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi camera won't connect to computer if computer's wired interface is enabled

Farren
Apprentice

Canon PowerShot SX610 HS camera

Camera Window DC version 8.10.7.32

Computer OS's tested:  Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Home

I'm trying to use the WiFi feature of this camera to connect to a Windows desktop running Camera Window DC version 8.10.7.32. The desktop computer has both a wired and wireless connection. The camera will not find the computer via it's WiFi connection unless the wired connection is disabled. In addition, even with the wired connection disabled, occasionally (about 1 time out of 10) the camera still will not find the computer. In these cases, disabling and re-enabling the WiFi connection on the computer will fix the problem. But, with the wired connection enabled, the camera will NOT ever find the computer. The camera connects to the access point and then eventually times out searching for the computer. I've tested this on two computers: one is Windows 8.1 Pro and the other is Windows 10 Pro. It worked exactly the same on both computers. Leaving the wired interface disabled is NOT an option. Has anyone seen this behavior and is there a resolution?

5 REPLIES 5

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Farren,

Thank you for posting.

There isn't a setting in the Canon CameraWindow software that would cause you to lose a Wi-Fi connection when you've enabled an Ethernet connection unless that connection caused you to lose your connection to the Canon iMAGE Gateway.

Hope this clarifies.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No, when I enable the wired connection that WiFi connection is still working fine.

Not sure about the Canon iMAGE Gateway -- what is that? 

-Farren

Hi Farren,

The Canon iMAGE Gateway (CiG, https://ps.ciggws.net/iims-front/cig/loginIims.do) offers various services, such as the ability to share images in an online photo album. CANON iMAGE GATEWAY also serves as a bridge site to use Wi-Fi to send images to e-mail addresses, social networking services, and other Web services.

The use if the CiG is required when wirelessly transferring images to your computer, using the Canon CameraWindow.

If you haven't signed up for a CiG account, what method are you using to wirelessly transfer your images (i.e. Image Sync, etc)?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is a corporate setting and the images we're taking will not be leaving the building on any cloud service. Not an option. Thus, we looked specifically for a camera that could transfer directly to a Windows computer over WiFi and this one seemed to fit that requirement.  And, in fact, it does, provided I disable the receiving computer's wired ethernet interface. 

-Farren

Hi Farren,

At this point, I recommend contacting our toll-free techncial support team for assistance. For contact options, please click here.

Announcements