cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter count on Canon G1X

mcfly
Apprentice

I just bought a Canon G1x and wish I knew how to find shutter actuations...or do I need some kind of Canon software?  I was able to access shutter count on my G9 with a formatted SD card, but it doesnt work on this G1X. Anybody know how to find count on G1X?

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

How did you do it with the G9? As far as I've known the only way to be sure of the count was on early 1 series bodies using one of the programs designed to get it. Other than that the only way was to set the camere to "continous" when choosing the file numbering system. If you don't set it to that it restarts from 0001 each time you download & kills the idea of getting a count later in life. I have read about programs that can figure it out on newer bodies but so far they are all less than reliable.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1174620

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The method to get the shutter count on the G9 and G10...likely the G11 and G12:

Insert a blank formatted SD card in to a reader and plug it into your computer.  Create a text file in the card's root directory  named  "vers.req" (no quotes)  Make sure the file is not appended with  ".txt" or ".rtf", as these files wont work. Edit the file name if necessary.

Insert the card into your camera and turn it on in review (not shooting) mode.

Press the func/set and display buttons together three times in a row, and on the third screen the LCD will show the total shutter count.   IT WORKS!!

But it wont work on the G1X!!

That's very interesting & I'll see how it compares to my file number sometime in the next few days. I know that I set my G9 to continous & have never used a card from another camera so if it works it should match or be very close

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements