cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

won't record or take pics just beeps

saracristinamak
Apprentice
I got the power shot SX40HS and it's got the SIM card in it and it's the batteries full now when I push the button to take a photo it does nothing but beat at me and then the same thing with going press the button record a video it just does continue to speed rain sound for a minute and then stops can someone please help me to fix this because like I am ready to lose my mind and I don't understand why it's doing this thank you in advance for your help please guys it's Driving me up the wall
6 REPLIES 6

saracristinamak
Apprentice
when I push down on the button for the photos and video record it just beeps like 3 times fast and stops I have my batteries full and q 16 g memory card in it can someone please help me im so need to this

I have thr canon powershot sx40 hs

@saracristinamak wrote:
I have thr canon powershot sx40 hs

Have you:

1. Checked to make sure the wirite-protect switch on the SD card is not set to "locked"?

2. Are using a REAL SD card and not a mini SD in an adapter?

3. Formatted the card in the camera

(Press Menu button, Use zoom lever to select the "Tools' menu, Choose "FORMAT", Choose "OK" using the left/right arrow controls, press "FUNC Set" button).

saracristinamak
Apprentice
yes its saying the card is locked and yes I'm using a mini in an adapter

@saracristinamak wrote:

I'd strongly suggest that you try a real SD card, preferably a known brand  like Sandisk, Lexar  or Sony.  Adapters are often troublesome.  Poor contacts can cause the card to not be recognized or to appear to be write locked.  Cheap adapters also risk damaging the camera's card socket contacts.  SD cards are so inexpensive there is really no reason to not try the correct memory card.

@saracristinamak wrote:

If it is saying that the card is locked, then that is likely the issue.  There should be a small slider along one side of the SD card or MicroSD card to SD card adapter.  Slide that slider towards the end that says "Unlock" and/or away from the end that says "Lock".  See the 2 images below showing the slider in its 2 positions on an adapted micro SD card.

PXL_20210820_165530247~2.jpgPXL_20210820_165421190~2.jpg

Announcements