cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

I couldn't do it either and I have written to him.  If we put the camera on C1 or C2 we can use that function.  C1 and C2 we program to our tastes.    But I have tried in P mode to put the camera on manual focus and that seems to help with the focusing problem as it creates a magnified area where I want the focus to be.  With my finger halfway down on the shutter I then move and frame the picture.   I hope this is clear to you, if not we can discuss it by phone some day if you are amenable.

Having just bought an example of this camera,being of a similar age and needing guidance on the complexities - I've been following these exchanges with great interest.
What an excellent find is this sequence of 'Tutorials' with more to come! I have previously used basic 35mm cameras and thus have a idea about film and shutter speeds, aperture, depth of focus etc but modern digital cameras have so many more controls. A further common factor I share with other contributors is that I too enjoy wildlife generally and bird-watching in particular; I'm now looking forward to making the most of my acquisition rather than worried about how to use it properly.
Thanks to all who have made this thread so interesting.

Lindabirder

An individual on this blog got in touch and told me to press "reset all".  Lo and behold i can now move the focus box in P. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you Shelly.  I did the reset and no I too can move the focus box in P ! 

Pressing reset cancelled the photo that I had chosen for the start up image.  It's not terribly important but i can't find how I had done that so that I can put it back.

This evening I have spent some time playing with Av & Tv.  I practiced with the ceiling fan turned on high & learned what speed is needed to stop the acton.  I think this will be useful for butterflies.  

For now, I am a little puzzled by the examples I was reading in the newsletter about f-stops.   Maybe someone can tell me why my f-stop optioins are limited to 6.5 up to 8 in Av.  The newsletter was giving a much larger range.

The aperture range depends on the lens and every lens is different. On most zoom lenses the range will be decreased when zooming in.

The F-stop is basically the focal length divided by the diameter of the aperture so when the focal length is increased the aperture range decreases. Please note that a higher F number means that less light reaches the optical sensor.

When the f-stop range was very limited, I was using the close up feature and shooting a fluttering moth at about 1 inch in bright sunlight. I did get 3 excellent photos but not sure what I should learn about that frequent challenge. Thank you, LindaBirder

How about asking our new found friend Marius on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

if he might address this in one of his future tutorials?

Just a thought but it is something a lot of us have come across.

I cannot contact anyone through YouTube because I refuse to have a Google profile. Google profile messes up my Picasa albums which is how I organize all of my photos

Oh that's a nuisance, there are so many advantages in having a Google account!

I know we are going slightly off piste here but had you thought about setting up a second user account on your computer and link that with Google? The two would be entirely separate from each other.

Linda

I don't have a google account either, maybe it's our age as I am so concerned about privacy.  Anyway, I have Marius' e-mail address.  He has always been kind enough to answer my questions so I can give it to someone who may want to address something with him. 

Announcements