cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

After seeing your message last night, I experimented today by moving between P, Tv, & Auto.  Keeping the zoom at the same for comparison, they all pretty much matched.  It was cloudier today & variable so it was not an exact test.  They all ranged from 160-640 today as I choose brighter spots in the bushes as well as shadier spots.  The more I zoomed, focusing on flowers further out,  it seemed the ISO went higher.  I will test this again on a sunny day.  It is actually raining now.

I've never photographed birds through a window before, Linda, but I can make an educated guess about a few things you should consider to get the best photos you can.

First, I'd use manual focus on your camera, since autofocus will most likely detect the window, focus on that, and your birds will be out of focus.  Next I'd get as close to the window as possible so that the sensor will detect more of the outside scene and less from inside your house, and perhaps expose better for the birds.  Also, I would not shoot at any side angles through the window, which will introduce distortions in the pictures.  Try to shoot as perpendicular to the glass as possible for the clearest shots.

I have photographed birds through windows for years both with my Canon AE1Program film camera  and my Kodak point & shoot.  I agree that it is best to be straight on as possible and as close as possible.  However, the auto focus is not hindered by the glass as best as I can tell.  I have focused on birds 200' away with my point & shoot while standing inside my house.  I used to live on the edge of a small lake.

I probably do need to learn how to use manual focus though.  I have not gotten to that yet.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi LindaBirder, 

I realise that this post stopped some four months ago...but I found it interesting because I am presently in the same predicament you were in at the time you were writing. 

I'm afraid nothing's changed since then, and the only available interesting stuff regarding how to use the sx50 is still what was mentioned in your thread. 

Anyhow, there one thing I wanted to share with you: I got my manual printed after coming across this website: 

http://www.print-my-pdf.com.  They did a brilliant job...which is why I gladly recommend them.  

Ciao...and if you have managed to come across ant worthwhile video tutorials or whatever since June, I would appreciate it if you would kindly pass on.

Joe,

This link references the SX40 but since it quite similar to the SX50 you might find it helpful?

http://fatdragon100.weebly.com/sx40-hs-tutorial-videos.html

Murry

Thank you Murryg for the link to the tutorials for the SX40.  I think they will help me quite a bit when I get time to watch all of them.  I checked out the 1st 3.  Please let me know if you come across any that are specific to the SX50 although at least I know where my buttons are now & what they do.

I still have a lot to learn.  For instance, I have never figured out how to manual focus.

Looks like a good idea...I peeped into the link and I liked what I saw. Thanks so much for the hint Murry. 🙂

Thank you Joe for bringing me back to this forum.  I am happy to see the link provided to you by murryg.  I had never seen that and just watched the first 3.  I would advise that you use the manual the get very familiar with all the buttons and their locations on the SX50 so that you can concentrate on what she is saying about what they do.  You have those buttons on the SX50 but they have been moved all around and some even look different.  When I get a little time, I will watch the rest of these to see what I might pick up.  In general, I took the advice of eveyone who replied to my request and just got busy practicing by trial and error with lots & lots of error.  Still, the one thing I have done that I still rely heavily on is that one tutorial I mentioned at the beginning that describes how to save settings to C1 & C2.  Almost all of my photos are of birds or butterflies.  So, I have C1 set for birds and C2 set for butterflies close up.  If I can't get the butterflies close up, I use C1 and that works too.  I stil have so much to learn.  Good luck!  

My objective is decent bird photography (and other nature stuff)...eventually...which, given my present workload, probably means early spring 2014! But that should give me enough time to stay learning and experimenting. I'm probably somewhere where you where six months ago. Thanks for replying Linda.

Here is the link to that one & only video that I found back in May.  I did follow his tips to set C1 & C2.  With a few modificaitons, I am taking most of my photos (birds & butterflies) with these 2 settings.  One thing I have done differently is to set the ISO to auto.  I have tried to make myself set the ISO for each shot but by the time I get that done, the subject has flown away.  I have not searched for new videos since I was on this forum.  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements