cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

For quick reference it's -

askmwest@mwest.co.za

OK. Thanks. I am not sure what to ask yet. Still have lots of tutorials to read & watch!.

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

Thank You, shot4me.  You are right. I'm definitely still learning the ins and outs.  Will check out the videos.

Thank you. On your tip, I just watched her #11 video. I learned a lot! I am going to accept this is as the solution to my original question. If someone has suggested this before, I apologize for not recognizing its worth and not remembering if it was previously suggested.

I also just watched the first in a long series of tutorials by MWESTPhotography on U tube.  Looks really good.  Some of the stuff were real basic, but I still pick up new things that help.  Even from the first one I learned something I didn't know about shooting in Program mode.  I am headed out the door to see if it answers one of my problems.  Sometimes I get too influenced by some expert that says you have to do it this way.  I just want to get good pictures where I have controlled what is happening in the process, not getting something because I stumbled into a good picture.  Anyway, you might want to give these a shot as well.  

Thanks, again, shot4me.  I have checked a couple of the videos from Fat Dragon which I have found very helpful and will check out MWest Photography once I have tried out a few things from those videos.  I really appreciate your direction.

You are so welcome Camera Novice, glad I could help.

CameraNovice
Contributor

I am very interested in learning more about using this wonderful camera.  I, too, shoot a lot of birds and just love the range the telephoto gives me.  But, I have scaned the User Guide to find how to compensate for backlighting on some of my bird subjects, as my old camera had a setting that helped, but could find none. I realize now I am going to have to learn about exposure compensation.  Can you point me in the right direction to find out how this is done ?

Thank you in advance !

Yes sure, this is from page 115 in the manual :

Capture.JPG

Announcements