cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory card error, card locked

erdkg
Contributor

HI,

I have canon power shot SX200 IS, which was woring fine few days back but now suddenly it started showing Memory Card error, some time card lock. and Also Meory Format option in Camera is Grayed Out and hence cant be used.

I Have already checked small button in Memory card which is at correct position, card can be read and fomatted in PC and  other card also not working in this camera and showing same error. I suspect some minor issue which I might be missing, please suggest accordingly. same card was utilising earlier hence no issue card capacity or type of card also.

Dharmendra Gupta

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since its happening with two cards it sounds like a camera problem. Try this:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Card-s-Write-Protect-Switch-is-set-to-lock-but-it-defini...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi

Tried this already but not useful. By seeing inside card slot, it looks cleaned.

Also there is one Gold pin visible which is slightly slanted near to card lock mechansim, which I think is normal.

Is there any possiblity to upgrade camera software and do we know why format option is Grayed out?

Regards

Dharmendra Gupta

The format option is greyed out becuase the camera does not sense the card is either inserted or unlocked.

That contact you say is bent is that in the camera or on the card? None of the contacts should be slanted or bent they are designed to lay straight and flat for poper contact.

Hi,

Noted.

contact which I talk about is in Camera and is not bented permanantly it, is straight when card goes in slot, i belive it is supposed to met right location as can not see further once card inserted. do you have any internal mechansim pics, how it should be through which I can verify its condition.

Regards

Dharmendra

I dont have any internal pictures of your camera but Ive found them before for many other cameras by doing a search for....Canon Powershot SX200IS Service or Repair Manual or Parts.

I did some some utube videos for taking your camera apart via a google search

Oh and there was one site based in Russia that did have your service manual when you search for Powershot SX200 IS repair manual. It was down around page 4 or so. It said you have to register to see it.

If you do that make sure your anti virus is on

Than John.

I found some site but i belive repairing at our end may not be good and also repair manual not covering all aspect like did not covered Card Slot checking. Mostly covering Lens related issue.

Anyway I further tested and noticed that when I put card in loked condition than camera screen is black when switched ON, and when unlock position camera shows memory error means card locking is sensed by camera.

Hence I belive it could be a software issue also, is there any way that software of this can be updated or reseted. Camera reset in setting did not helped in this regard.

I feel last option will be to take to service centre 😞

Dharmendra

The card slot might be sold as a complete assembly and available thru Canon. If you decide to take it apart you might find a way to repair the card slot and yes the lock/unlock state of the card is sensed by the device.

Here is a complete guide as to how to take the camera apart depending on how confident you are in doing so.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Canon+PowerShot+SX200+IS/28471

Canon does not have any firmware downloads listed but if you call them they might be able to make it available for you to download.

If I were you I'd first call Canon see about the firmware and also what the cost to repair would be. In many cases they might offer you a refurbished camera, the same model, for a significantly reduced price.

If you call them keep in mind you can get a used SX200IS or refurbished right now from Amazon for anywhere from $60-$295

The price of repair often is close to the price for a good used camera or more

I have bought a refurbished SX50HS from Canon and I was/am completely satisfied. I also bought an extended warranty on it too.

Thanks John for valuable advise.

I tried here in Dubai contacting Canon but they refer to me Service centre, who told high repair cost when I spoke to them, still I will be visiting service centre to see what exactly the cost is.

I have checked Canon website also which says no software/ firmware for this.

Hence last option is to look for service centre and if goes costly may be i need to repair locally.

I will look for refurbished option in service centre if they have any.

Thanks

Regards

Announcements