cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon powershot a540 memory card error

jangdang
Apprentice

This camera takes a max of 2gb for sd cards so I bought one on amazon under the brand label "Transcend" and have heard that it is compatible with older cameras as well. Though when I put it in, it says there's a memory card error. I have tried formatting it on a computer but there's really nothing to be formatted since it's new. It's not locked either. I've tried to format it on the camera itself but for some reason it hovers over the format button. Is there any way to fix this? 

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome:
When you got your card, is it a full-size memory card or a micro SD and adapter?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the fast reply, Trevor.

It's a full size sd card

normadel
Authority
Authority

Transcend is a good brand. If it's not a counterfeit. Who were the SELLER and SHIPPER on Amazon?

Do other cards work okay in the camera? 

You CAN TOO format an SD card that has never been used. Should be able to do it on your computer. If that doesn't work, and the card is not locked, there's something wrong with the card.

If it formats on the computer, format it in-camera before using it.

The seller was the brand itself. I haven't tried other cards yet but I just bought the 16m mmc from canon. I can't format on the camera as the option is blackened out and instead hovers over the option. Thanks for the info

Announcements