cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aperiture on powershot sx50 hs

shot4me
Contributor

I have been trying to expand my understanding of my camera.  I want to be able to control the shutter and aperture on my camera.  I have a very narrow band of control now, basically from F4.0 to F8.0.  Am I doing something wrong?  Did I get the wrong camera for what I want to do?  Will the CHDK kit fix this?  Is there a way to fix this?  Please help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually I was able to find a tutorial that helped me get depth of field with this camera.  Check out MWESTPhotography episode 13.  He explains Aperture and how to get the right affect with the SX50.  I have really learned a lot about my camera from these lessons.  I know it is not the same, some might say as good, as some other cameras, but it can be done.  This camera seems to meet my needs to get the shot I want, just have to learn how to use it.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

John_
Authority

In order to control both the shutter speed and aperature you have to be in Manual shooting mode. The full range of the aperature is 3.4-8.0 depending on the zoom setting.

I doubt you bought the wrong camera. the SX50HS is an awesome camera. If you are more specific may we can help you better with what you are trying to do.

I have that range no matter what length that my zoom is in.  I am looking to improve my depth of field in some of my photographs.  I have seen aperture at the following 1.4 to 16.  The one I have 3.4 to 8 doesn't allow for much of an effect on the depth of field.  Again is this just this camera, or am I doing something wrong?   

I am trying to educate myself and really don't have anyone that I can ask, so I apologize if my questions sound uninformed.  Kind of why I joined this forum, just don't how to answer some of these questions. 

That is the range on this camera.

If you load CHDK there is a facility for calculating DOF.

Vetteran
Enthusiast

You have not said what you are trying to do. Readers here can offer more

help if you give some details.

If you want minmum depth of field then you do have the wrong camera.

Ditto if you want to do low-light snaps.

CHDK will enable some more features., maybe some of that will do what you want.

Google search for all the information.

Actually I was able to find a tutorial that helped me get depth of field with this camera.  Check out MWESTPhotography episode 13.  He explains Aperture and how to get the right affect with the SX50.  I have really learned a lot about my camera from these lessons.  I know it is not the same, some might say as good, as some other cameras, but it can be done.  This camera seems to meet my needs to get the shot I want, just have to learn how to use it.  

I found those lessons a while ago and still go back to them to learn

Announcements