cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to wirelessly connect Canon PowerShot ELPH 350 HS to laptop

SmlBizAdmin
Contributor

I'm trying to help someone who just bought a Canon PowerShot ELPH 350 HS connect to her laptop so she can download pictures.

Following the manual we got the IP configuration setup in the camera but so far can't seem to figure out how to get the two devices to talk to each other.

Is there specific procedure to follow? I'm having to do this remotely so I'm relying on the person with the camera to do all of the work on the camera though I'm remotely connected to the laptop.

Jonathan

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What OS does she have? Have you installed the Canon Utilities on the computer? Does she have a WiFi network?

@kvbarkley wrote:

What OS does she have? Have you installed the Canon Utilities on the computer? Does she have a WiFi network?

The laptop is running Windows 10. I don't recall if Canon Utilities are installed, if not I will do so. Yes she has a wireless network, that is how we got the camera configured. Both camera and laptop are connected to the wireless router and so of course are on the same subnet.

The manual is a bit fuzzy on connecting devices although it goes into good detail on how to configure networking on the camera.

I'll see about the utilities and let you know.

Jonathan

My quick reading of the manual showed pretty good detail and the Canon software was required for the connection.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I'm at the Canon site and did a search for the ELPH 350 HS and there are no utilities available for it for any OS. Any suggestions?

Jonathan

I just meant the Canon software - Particularly CameraWindow

@kvbarkley wrote:

Okay I found it and installed it. We'll see how it works since they don't list it as being compatible with Windows 10. But it installed okay. I tried running it and it just said it didn't find a camera. So I need to wait for the camera owner to be available so we can try it out.

Jonathan

@SmlBizAdmin wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Okay I found it and installed it. We'll see how it works since they don't list it as being compatible with Windows 10. But it installed okay. I tried running it and it just said it didn't find a camera. So I need to wait for the camera owner to be available so we can try it out.

Jonathan

Are you saying that the EOS Utility isn't running under Windows 10? 

If the EOS Utility isn't running, then it could be as simple as performing a Windows update.  Just be sure to enable the option to enable update of non-Windows applications.  Windows 10 does not come with Media Player. It uses a substitute. 

It is an optional feature on some installs of Windows 10.  Here's how to check for it on your system.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/media-player-only-plays-the...

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is a PowerShot, EOS Utility is not used. It uses a program called CameraWindow for communicating with the camera.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@SmlBizAdmin wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Jonathan

Are you saying that the EOS Utility isn't running under Windows 10? 

If the EOS Utility isn't running, then it could be as simple as performing a Windows update.  Just be sure to enable the option to enable update of non-Windows applications.  Windows 10 does not come with Media Player. It uses a substitute. 

It is an optional feature on some installs of Windows 10.  Here's how to check for it on your system.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps/media-player-only-plays-the...

EOS Utility isn't installed. Windows is up to date and the option to get updates for other Microsoft products other than Windows is selected. Yes I'm aware WIndows 10 changed the default players to Groove to play music and Movies & TV to play video. I checked out the link you provided and went through Method 1 which found no DVD player because you have to purchase one and the owner doesn't have a need to play DVDs. Using Method 2 I found Windows Media Player but I don't understand what that has to do with connecting the camera and laptop.

Jonathan

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements